classe cav-180 vs cav-500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DannyL, May 21, 2003.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i am currently running b&w N804's and htm-1 center channel with an aragon 8008x3. i am looking for a "warmer" sound. are the extra 70 watts/channel in the cav-500 worth the extra money?

2. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Danny,
    I have the CAV180 in my system now and it is a great amp. The CAV500 is another level in quality, whether it is worth the extra money for your setup would be up to you. They will both give you the warmer sound you are looking for. You really need to audition both of them and decide. As far as heat goes, they will need some air around them and are big amps, unless you have a large rack I’m not sure the 500 would fit.

Earl

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Danny, I would ask your dealer if you could bring home the demo units and listen in your room with the rest of your system. I own the exact same gear as you, except I run an Aragon 8008BB for my N804's. The 8008 x 3 runs my center and surrounds. I believe the Classe line of amps do sound a little laid back compared to Aragon but it may not be sufficient to satisfy you or you pocketbook.

Always try to audition future purchases at home in your system., BTW, what preamp are you using? Do you listen to a lot of music? What type mainly? Are you running a sub when listening to 2 channel music?Is your room treated? This is 1 area many people associate with brightness. Maybe some absorbent panels will help your situation too. Food for thought. [​IMG]

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i'm currently using an svs 20-39 sub and an outlaw 950 pre/pro. my main use is for home theater (90%). room treatments are not an option since my theater is in my family room; treatments will not meet WAF. i suspect the outlaw may be on the "bright" side; any pre/pro suggestions? (dolby prologic II is a requirement) thanks.