Class G Amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TonyWright, Jul 29, 2004.

1. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I am looking into using 3 Outlaw Model 200 monoblocks for my front stage area. I read that they are class A/B up to 80 watts and then they switch to class G up to 200 watts.

Is there anything wrong with class G amps? Does anyone have any opinions about the Outlaws? I like the idea of having a seperate amp per speaker as it separates the power supplies.

Are there any other amps in the Outlaw's price range that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Tony

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I dont think it matters what class they are operating at. Listen to them if possible and if you like them buy them.

3. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Yogi, thanks for the reply. I didn't know if the class of the amp would matter or not.

Does anyone use these, or any other mono amps that they would recommend?

Thanks!

Tony

4. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

Sonically Class G amps operate exactly the same as Class A/B. Only the voltage supply rails change according to the output power requirements. The only real disadvantage is when the supply rails change noise can be generated. Chances are though that Outlaw has taken this into consideration and compensated for it. The Class G output stage is a very slick design. I wouldn't be suprised to see more companies using this topology in the future to reduce heat sink requirements.

5. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Thanks Brad.

I will not worry about the class G rating then. It sounds as though I won't hear any difference. Outlaw has more than likely compensated for any shortfalls.

Thanks again!

Tony

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I'm using two of Outlaws M200 monoblocks to power a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s with a Denon 3803 as a pre. I can't tell much difference with music when I listen at lower levels, but it makes a nice improvement in the sound at higher levels. It runs cool, it's quiet, and it doesn't change the "sound" of the speaker. It adds depth to the sound stage and imagining is improved, but the speaker still sounds like the Studio 40. Don't know if that makes much sense. Good thing about the Outlaw is you can try it at home for 30 days...

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't read anything on class G, but that sounds alot like what the Sunfire's do with the tracking downconverter.

DJ

8. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Yep. Class G is the topology. The tracking downconverter is a very efficient power supply device.