Class Dissection Of Live Dog Outrages Parents, Students

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Wishton, May 19, 2005.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Class Dissection Of Live Dog Outrages Parents, Students

A biology class lesson in Gunnison, Utah involving the dissection of a live dog has outraged some parents and students, according to a report.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Biology teacher Doug Bierregaard said.

Biology teacher Doug Bjerregaard, who is a substitute teacher at Gunnison Valley High School, wanted his students to see how the digestive system of a dog worked.
    Bjerregaard made arrangements for his students to be a part of a dissection of a dog that was still alive.

The dog was still alive, but the teacher said it was sedated before the dissection began.

With the students watching, the sedated dog's digestive system was removed.

"It just makes me sick and I don't think this should go on anywhere and nobody's learning from it," student Sierra Sears said."

The teacher said the lesson would allow students to see the organs actually working.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Bierregaard said.

Cont.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/4554/UT/US/1
    http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8191
    http://www.stopanimaltests.com/f-sanpete.asp

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    sick [​IMG]

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

dvp

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The correct term here is vivisection, not dissection.

The article fails to mention that the dog was to be euthanized before the 'experiment' was scheduled. Still horrific, but something to keep in mind.

I don't imagine the veterinarian involved will be in business much longer. All the videotape I've seen on this has the clinic's name emblazoned all over it.

5. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

We did something similar in college science classes. I'm sorry but there is no replacement for the real thing, if the knowledge is necessary. I'm not sure in high school it is. Nevertheless, I don't think he's sick bastard.

Chris

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

That's why people intern though. If he wanted to he could have done a field trip to a vet conducting a surgery and given the kids the choice. Like you said High School is not the place since some of these kids probably had no intrest.

7. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I guess I dont have a problem with it.

Students and thier parents decided if they wanted to view the dissection (the article stated one student did not have parental consent and worked on something else while the dissection took place).

We dissected live rats in high-school biology (anesthetized of course). It was quite interesting to see the internals at work.

I had no intention of pursuing a medical profession, so the knowledge was certainly not necessary. But I think a broad education in high school a good thing. Having the oppurtunity to see something we'd never seen before, and learn from it, is IMO the main point of high school.

IMHO

Jeff

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It would also be interesting to see the internal workings of a living human being, but I think there would be some objection over that as well, even if the person were to be euthanised (ie a death row inmate). I fail to see the point of this exercise, especially at a high school level.

What would be educational for kids would be to experience the effects of war first hand - what it's like to see someone's leg blown off, or being in a building while it is being bombed. Anyone up for a field trip?

I didn't think so.

9. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Effects of the wars their parents create and support? Overblown much?

I would tend to agree that for high school biology, this might be a bit much, but I would have no problem at the college level, particularly in any biological or medical field.

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The headline is inflammatory but it leaves out 3 relevant facts:

1) The dog was sedated before the demonstration. Which means he was not technically "dead" when the dissection took place, but he was already "asleep" and therefore felt no pain and endured no suffering.

2) The dog was to be euthanized. Which means there were 2 possible outcomes: Either the dog could die in a biology class, where students can learn from his body, or he could die a totally meaningless death in the dog pound, where nobody learns anything. Which outcome is more desirable?

3) The students were allowed to opt out if they, or their parents had any objection.

Jeff,

This is quite interesting! Why are there no outraged news articles about this practice? Possibly because rats aren't cute and cuddly? Outrage generated by this article is based solely on our emotional attachment towards dogs.

I believe in animal welfare (that animals are resources, to be used responsibly, yet they should be spared unnecessary cruelty) but I fail to see what the big fuss is over this.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    As long both the students and parents had been informed ahead of time and consent forms were gathered from the parents before the students were allowed to participate, I have no problems with the students being allow to view such a demonstration, if they wanted to.

12. Jeff Peake

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Unfortunately the dog had no choice in whether or not to participate.

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    When I was in HS we did this to a cat. It was an amazing thing to see. I don't see a big problem with it.

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Of course it is.

Dissecting a live dog in front of high school students is a profoundly stoooopid idea, given the attachement people have for these animals in these contries. I mean, a thread about a pet is started almost everyday on this forum. For some, they're family.

I personally can't relate (I don't do pets), but do the educators think that kids will actually learn something from this experience?

--
    H

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

The teacher didn't kill the dog, the people that abandoned it at the pet shelter because it actually required care did that.

The teacher wanted his students to learn something before the dog was (inevitably) put down. They had their parents sign consent forms and it was totally voluntary by the students to go. Maybe of the 9 that attended one will be inspired to become a vet that figures out new methods to save thousands of dogs someday.

It's easy to measure our disgust/discomfort with this demostration, unfortunately it's impossible to measure the possible benefit to the students that watched it. But to drive a car, to fly in a plane, to have a doctor save your premature baby requires a faith in science, and science requires a acceptance of research and knowledge that may seem at first sight disagreeable.

So to me it sounds horrible at first glance, but ultimately there are no victims here at the end of the day and quite possibly some kids had their minds expanded a bit.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My thoughts exactly. This really doesn't have a place in the high school realm.

18. Jeff Peake

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Ah, I didn't read that part. The article (at the top of the page) doesn't mention it was off school grounds.

I would change my opinion then.

Jeff, I see you posted about the trip earlier. I guess I missed that part.

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Tru dat, tru dat. I jumped the gun quite a bit and take back my post. Sorry.

--
    H