Class action lawsuit against the home builders. To join or not.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, Jan 6, 2004.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I received a letter from an attorney representing a class action lawsuit against the builders of the homes in our neighborhood. The suit claims that there were neglect in the building process that resulted in roof leak, bad plumbing, stucco staining, ect....

I have bought this house 3 yrs ago when it was new and so far all my problems are so minors that it never needed any repairs.

To join the lawsuit, I need to fill out the form and they will have an inspector inspect my house. Also, there's an area for me to list all my problems and the cost of the repairs. Well, I don't have those problems others have complainted about. Well, not yet anyway.

So what if I join and what if I don't join. Any help is appreciated.

Since the bank technically own the house, shouldn't they be involved too?

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You are the one that will have to live with problems in your house not the bank so its in your best interest to at least check this out. As long as there are no costs to you go ahead it cant hurt. Just make sure there isnt a stipulation in the contract that says "If" they dont win you pay lawyer fees or the inspection costs. If its free let them do an inspection but make sure they use a reputable company to do them.

Our neighborhood sued the man who built all of our homes because all of the tile was installed incorrectly. Every single house had a ton of cracked tiles. Reason was that he didnt install them correcly and tried to cut corners. Of course these problems arose after the warranty but the cause was the same in all homes. We won the replacement of all the floors in our house which came to over 8K.

Best of luck,

KyleS

3. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Kyle, if you didn't take part, you would have missed out on the replacement right?

Let's say you didn't join in and they won and your tiles didn't get a replacement. If it goes bad later, can you sue and feed off the already won lawsuit?

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

There are too many factors that we dont know that could keep you from suing him after they settle and you never know when the statute of limitations will run out. Even if nothing is wrong with your house now if they look at your house they could relieve any fears that you may have if they dont find anything. If they do find something you will be included in the lawsuit. You would have to talk to a lawyer to find out a lot of answers to your questions so why not talk to the one who may represent you for FREE?

KyleS