1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Class A, B...F Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlexKunec, Jun 1, 2002.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Whats the difference, pros/cons of Class A, B, ....F Amps?

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I don't know much about the different classes, but I do know that the higher classes, C, D etc run WAY cooler and can put out alot of power but the quality of sound is less than that of a Class A amp. Class C, D+ amps are mainly used for powering subwoofers, mostly in Car audio and in home audio as well. Class A amps have very high sound quality but tend to run very hot and are usually VERY expensive, like the Krell Master Reference amp.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Here is what I've heard, but I honestly don't know and a lot of this is probably wrong. I'm sure someone else will tell us the correct information though.

Class A amps 'bias' the output transistors with a decent amount of current (1-2+ amps) to improve their linearity and reduce distortion. Of course this comes at a cost in efficiency (50% maximum and usually a lot less) and heat - often over 100W idle dissipation.

Class AB amps have a smaller bias (usually a fraction of an amp, I think). Most solid state amps are run Class AB because it's more efficient than Class A but still sounds better than Class B. Don't take my word for it though.

Class B amps have no bias on the transistors.

I believe Class D, F, etc are digital or switching amplifiers. I don't know how they work but they are very efficient and great for subwoofer amplifiers. There are also companies developing these amps for hi-fi applications and the results are getting better.

4. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

Alex, ask and ye shall receive.