What's new

Class A Amps (1 Viewer)

Roger

Auditioning
I'm about to upgrade my system from very good to "Dream" (please see my posting under speakers).

I'm currently running a Lexicon LX-7 (7 channels X 200 watts) and a Lexicon MC 12 processor. I like the processor quite a bit but am wondering about the amp. I have a 5.1 system so I don't really need the 7 channel amp but I'm using the 2 extra channels to bi-wire my front L/R speakers (I am currently running a pr of B&W Nautilus 802's). I think it's making a big difference because ever since I did that the sound improved significantly.

Now I'm about to upgrade my speakers, (most likely to a pair of B&W Nautilus 800's) and I'm going to make the jump to 7.1 so I will lose the ability to bi-wire my front L/R speakers. For this reason and also for the reason that I want fantastic sound from the L/R speakers (as I use only the front 2 speakers when I listen to music Cd's) I am thinking of getting 2 very good monoblock amps for the front L/R speakers.

I understand Krell and Mark Levinson are really the only 2 manufacturers in the very high end of Class A amps although soeone recently turned me onto Classe, a Canadian company. Any comments on my situation and which amps are best would be appreciated.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I think you mean Bi-Amp. IMO I dont think there are any advantages to running class A amps anymore, they get too hot for one and there are some very nice AB amps for a tenth the price that you would be hard pressed to hear any improvement in sound quality.
BTW Levinson, Classe, Bryston, Madrigal others (Proceed, Aargon, Accurus) are not Class A as the Krell is.
My understanding is as with most AB amps they are Class A only to a point (first 20 watts or so) There are many Class A design PreAmps.
I just finished reading a review of the Krell and the Levinson about I think they would interchange you could switch names and the text would still be the same, kind of like a form letter where you fill in the names.
Dont get me wrong these amps are superb, I am not knocking them, maybe the Krell only because it is a little over the top, my friend has one that he heats his garage with. Same fellow uses Anthem amps on his everyday system with 85K worth of Danes, on a AB comparison you better have mighty good ears to hear any differences.

MichaelBJ

Auditioning
Roger,
Are you near any high-end dealers ? For the monetary investment you are looking at, it might be wise to visit one that has high-end amps. As for class A amps, they do produce more heat, but some people find they sound smoother than AB amps.
Trust your ears, Michael

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
also there seems to be a bit of creative liberty with regards to some class a amps actually being class a all the way through their power ratings. pays to ask a lot of questions and when in doubt, take a gander at the heat sinks as they are, if honestly designed, great little space heaters ;)

Gary_Z

Auditioning
If an amp claims class A to 50w then class AB then what? For example teh Pass Labs X series

Jon SS

Auditioning
Roger,

Can you let me know how you find the Lexicon LX-7. I am considering this and the Theta Dreadnaught.

Thanks

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I owned several class A amps over the years, best one was an "OPtonica", high end Sharp in the early 80s, 100x2 and it was a brick, I think I paid a couple grand then for a demo, they werent out long, was black with gold trim, kinda pretty. I drove a pair of JBL-L20s with it, no balls, talk about a hard clipper, at 100 watts it quit not gently either. The thing weighed about 60 pounds, I had to have it class A and all. It had a nice warm sound but it couldnt hang with the L-20s, finally put an Adcom GFA-1 on the L-20s, sounded better and had the grunt they needed. It was a classic, wish I had it today, about like turning on the Air conditioner, every light in the house would dim, I think they draw as much current idle as they do wide open, it did heat up the corner where it sat.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, those Optonicas never took off. Now Sharp's making that overpriced, cool running, digital crap.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Chu,
Once again you have impressed me with your knowledge of Aussie products (I think it was you who mentioned VAF speakers in another thread)!!! However, ME is not fully Class A. I believe if you want a full Class A amp, among the other suggestions from the manufacturers already stated would be Plinius SA-102 or SA-250IV amps.
Cheers,
Mike

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well that's what I get for watching the Croc Hunter. Hey lots of good things happening down under and what I think is great about that is that people have companies that they can support, if they so wish, in their own countries. funny thing is though, is that so many of us tend to look elsewhere. In the US for some, a status symbol cycle might be some top of the line Kawasaki or Suziki, but you head on over to Japan, and you've got a waiting period and a half to pick up on a Harley. One thing that's intriguing to me about those who live down under is the 'relatively' close access you've got to products made in mainland china, perhaps making a visit abroad rather cost effective.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Sheesh. I might as well stop posting :frowning: .
Mike we post about US stuff all the time ;)
Down here, status bikes are European.
Mainland China ain't that close. Singapore & Hong Kong on the other hand...

Yogi

Screenwriter
Have you considered LLANO design Trinity amps. They are hybrid amps with tube drivers and MOSFET (fully biased into Class A) output. They sound very smooth and fast and you would be hard pressed to beat them for the price. Class A with tube magic, now thats something to think about
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Class A has its advantages but also has its drawbacks. Pure class A amps will draw a lot of current from the wall. You will need to get a dedicated line if you are going to be operated a HT system that way. Krell recommends a MINIMUM of a 15 amp dedicated line for each STEREO amp. When you consider the number of channels that a HT system will require and the amount of heat generated and the demands on the electrical lines, you better be sure that your wiring is up to snuff. Another thing is that due to the high temperatures, class A amps will tend to have a shorter lifespan, particularly that of the capacitors.
Another contender pointed out above is Pass Labs, they are also contenders for the ultra high end in class A amplification.
http://www.passlabs.com
I would recommend listening to a bunch of amps, Class A, AB, T, etc before making a decision.
I have heard some great Class AB amps as well as Class A designs.
YBA amps are great, their output devices are class AB but the power supply operates in Class A. I truly think Mr. Andre is a heck of a designer, and very intelligent.
http://www.phlox-electronique.com
I just bought a YBA amp and it is something special. Other amps in house include a Pass Labs Aleph 30, Citation 7.1, Sherwood Newcastle 9080, B&K ST-140. There is a certain "rightness" to the sound of the YBA that I really enjoy.
For class T, which employs digital switching, check out the Bel Canto evO amps. They are going to run very cool and yet are reputed to sound tubelike in the mids. They have had great reviews as well.
http://www.belcantodesign.com/index2.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks