Clash By Night (1952) - RKO

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Any word when/if this title will make DVD? I know it is overdue because of some major stars in it (Marilyn Monroe, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan). Fritz Lang directed it. TMC has it out on VHS and being an RKO picture guess Warner would release it? The IMDb gives it 7 out of 10 stars from 327 user ratings so it can't be but so bad [​IMG]

2. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

I've seen this years ago, probably TCM too. With all the Marilyn already released or scheduled to be released, I was wondering the same thing. It is a good movie, one that does not get much attention or come to mind compared to Stanwyck's or Monroe's list of catalog of must sees.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I watched my laser disc of Clash By Night only a couple of months ago. Sure I'd like it on DVD but the laser is quite decent so I can wait.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    It's been a while since I posted this DVD request by Warner / RKO but still don't see any clues about a release on this classic. Any news?

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Eric,

No idea about R1, but just watched my R2 copy (Suevia Films from Spain) which offers a very good presentation - if you're region free capable. In fact Manga Films (also from Spain) has well over a dozen old RKO noirs that are all very good and pretty reasonably priced.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi Herb

Would you have a link to that site ?

Cheers

Oscar

7. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I would imagine that it will included in a future batch of Warner Film Noirs. Essential for Lang fans.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks Herb

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Re: "I would imagine that it will (be) included in a future batch of Warner Film Noirs. Essential for Lang fans."

Essential, yes, Gordon but by what stretch of the imagination does Clash By Night qualify as a noir? It's a domestic drama with about as much relation to noir as Come Back Little Sheba.

11. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

I think my response would be “by what stretch of the imagination wouldn’t you consider Clash by Night a true film noir…?” Just out of curiosity Thomas, why would you exclude it as a noir…?

Sure, the film plays on the side of melodrama but it possesses enough qualities as well to be considered a true film noir, from the atmosphere of the Monterey canning factory to the hardened looking workers and fisherman of the packing plant. That hardened and cynically dark environment is perfectly evoked and captured thanks to the stark and shadowy black-and-white cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca.

All of the characters are desperate for something, whether they reveal it on the surface or not. Ryan, as the third wheel whose character is the most desperate is rife with dialogue that is sharp and double-edged. We know he’s going to go after Mae – that’s a given and Jerry (who plays a perfect “chump”) doesn’t have the backbone to stick up for himself.

Stanwyck comes across as “well traveled” and cold hearted, winds up a mother to an infant daughter married to a man she really doesn't even like, but knows she’ll be cared for. She also knows it’s just a matter a time before she leaves him for Earl, adding to the tension especially not knowing how he’ll deal with the love triangle. She might not be criminally corrupt but she certainly is morally corrupt - a perfect femme fatale. In short and for reasons that are not necessarily criminal in nature, all of them are “scheming” to some extent.

Not necessarily one of Lang’s best films (although the performances are wonderful), but one that also exudes an atmosphere of fatalistic doom and one I feel falls clearly into the noir category.

12. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

Is there a comprehensive listing of these titles available?

13. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Jon,

Here is Manga’s website:

http://www.mangafilms.es/index1.htm

They have a good selection of RKO titles including quite a few noirs that aren’t available here. If it’s just noirs you’re interested in, look here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=141098

I have marked all of the available titles as DVD R2 Sp. A quick count shows 11 titles available in Spain – all of which are available at DVDGO. I've watched at least 7 or 8 of them now and the presentations are very good and subs can be turned off.

Herb.