What's new

clarity of theatre projector vs. home tv etc. (1 Viewer)

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a question that has nagged me for sometime.

When I go to the movies (hoyt's, big ars screens), I certainly find it an enjoyable visual/aural experience. But, is it me, or is the clarity of this medium supposed to be any better than someone watching a dvd at home on a wega or the like?

I suppose that using a projector is the only effective way to get such a big screen with best clarity. But why is movie theatre projection of spoken of as the 'standard'. It certainly is no hdtv, and I don't think it's even dvd quality. Input appreciated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Well one is film and the other is video ...

does video look like photos? Of course not.

While film does not have a line structure per se ... it is often estimated at 4000 lines of resolution.

Let's see ... DVD ... 720 x 480 ...
hmmm

Regards

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Keep in mind that it's being blown up to huge proportions.
If you magnified either HDTV or DVD to that size they would look worse than a good film presentation...

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
Film is WAY WAY better looking than HDTV or especially DVD. There is absolutely NO comparison. What you may be seeing is a slightly out of focus projector or bad screen or sitting too close to the screen. Sitting farther back in the theatre makes a HUGE difference. I think ive experienced the effect you mean. A DVD version of a movie "appears" to be more detailed, but isnt nearly as detailed as a film. Its more an effect of watching a DVD on a TV as opposed to a projected image. A tv gives a grittier look to edges and with DVD edge enhancement, they combine to make it "appear" detailed. Like someone else said...compare a film to an equally sized TV version.....the TV version would look utterly crappy.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Hope I didn't start something here...but..

I think you just contradicted Michael, if I read his post correctly.

I usually sit in the far back corner, I like my privacy. I don't see, per your post, how theater films would be considered more vivid than dvd (properly run), or hdtv.

If you took a dvd and showed it on the worlds largest tv/projections tv, I suppose it would still be clear, provided the worlds largest tv was up to snuff on a size/resolution basis. Or maybe I'm talkint above my head.

I don't think my question was "would a dvd'd tv picture be as good as a theater film if it was magnified ten times, but rather, as is...does projector theater filming pale in comparison to home theater viewing on smaller equipment.

Thanks,in any event.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Given the same size image from where ever you are sitting, I'd take film over DVD anyday.

Heck, I'd take HDTV over DVD anyday.

Image is denser ... more detailed ... no line structure ... no pixel structure ...

Regards

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
One area that film can lose out to home projection is in the area of black level, believe it or not!
A good CRT projector can do true black, while keep in mind that a film projector is actually a transmissive source bulb projector not that unlike LCD,DLP, etc.
If you have been to a recent dark movie like, say SIGNS, then you might notice that blacks aren't actually black, but dark grey.

I'd still take film though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks