What's new

Clarification on HD-LCD TV's and Monitors (1 Viewer)

Dennis-hp

Agent
I'm a little confused on a few things regarding the inputs on the new LCD TV's and Monitors.

I have a couple of LCD TV's but they are each a couple of years old and with the advent of the New HD-DVD players I want to make sure I understand everything before I purchase anything.

I've read where the new HD DVD players have a HDMI output that is limited to 1080i (even though the Disc's have 1080P content)..next generation models will pass a full 1080P to the TV. I recall reading somewhere that the current HDMI inputs on today's LCD's will not accept the 1080P signal from the next generation of HD DVD players...is this in fact true?

I am looking at the Westinghouse 37w3 but will hold off if this set won't accept the full 1080P through the HDMI.

Thanks to anyone that can clear this up for me.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I too am interested because the companies literature says the HDMI inputs accept 1080p, but some sites are saying 1080i only (of course, where do they get a 1080p signal to check it?).

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some makes and models accept 1080p via HDMI (or DVI) with HDCP compliance, some only accept 1080i.

I heartily do not recommend buying a 1080p TV without 1080p HDCP compliant input.

A Blue Ray DVD player, or a de-interlacing video processor for HDTV, will deliver a 1080p @ 60 fps video signal to verify an HDTV's input capabilities, even if the original program material is not HDTV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Dennis-hp

Agent
Thanks for the tip Allan. I've been reading all I can about the new 1080P LCD displays and the HD-DVD players and have arrived at the following conclusions.

1. If a monitor is sold as a 1080P monitor and has a HDMI input that is HDCP compliant..then the panel can display a native 1080P signal without scaling. This is the case regardless of whether the HDMI is ver. 1.0 or 1.3. on that panel. Also the panel will scale any HD signal it receives to 1080P that it received through the HDMI input (unless there is a option on the panel to change it to something else).

Yes?

2. The new HD DVD players only support 1080i output at this time. The reasoning for this was twofold (1) few panels support native 1080p signals (2) incorporating a 1080P output would have delayed the release of the HD-DVD player. The next generation players will have direct 1080P outputs when released and the first generation player will be able to be upgraded to 1080P at that time.

Yes?

If what I have read and discerned is correct, the purchase of a Westinghouse 37W3 1080P flat panel with two HDMI (HDCP) compliant inputs will guarantee me an unscaled acceptance of 1080P signals to the display panel. If I purchase the Westinghouse 37W3 and a first generation HD-DVD player the 1080i output from that player to that panel would be scaled it to 1080P for viewing on that panel. If I purchase a second generation HD-DVD player..it should produce a 1080P signal through it's output directly to the Westinghouse with no scaling necessary.

Yes?

Just want to make sure I'm straight on this before I go off half cocked. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks