Clara Bow's It (1927) in November

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TimJS, Aug 29, 2003.

1. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Image's web site does not have their November schedule posted yet but DVDPlanet is showing that It is scheduled for release 11/25. Carl Davis score.

Tim

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the tip and I am sure I will get this

[​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This will be the Photoplay Productions (Kevin Brownlow and David Gill) restoration. The DVD is by Milestone Video, who is releasing the 2-disc Phantom of the Opera DVD on September 9th.

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Damn! I just bought the Kino edition 2 weeks ago!

Jeff

5. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Yep, this'll be their third release of a Photoplay, after The Chess Player and the upcoming Phantom of the Opera. Other titles not yet scheduled but in the works are La Terre, The Blot, and Nosferatu -- the last of that list has been promised as a 2004 release.

I've recently re-watched Kino's edition of It (which comes with the very melancholy documentary Discovering the It Girl, whose only real appeal for me is a slew of wonderful clips from many Bow films), and while watchable, its state in general (soft, poor contrast, a bit too fast to my eye, etc.) details why Milestone's release should be such a cause for celebration.

The remainder of 2003 looks very enticing for silent fans: Phantom of the Opera, Lon Chaney Collection, It, a new edition of The General paired with Steamboat Bill, Jr., a few titles from Kino (I'm waiting to see if they are PAL coversions, though, as, reportedly, was their recent release of The Holy Mountain), A Max Linder release from Image ... and others I'm sure I've overlooked. Image's November and December slates have yet to be announced (Milestone releases through Image, of course). [​IMG]

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I already have the Kino edition, but may have to pick this one up as well. Great movie, and the one that got my wife to actually enjoy watching silents with me.

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    We just saw it with a live accompaniment on a Whurlitzer at Tampa Theatre last Sunday. What a great show. I look forward to picking this one up. We really enjoyed it.

8. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Clara Bow was a much better actress than the motion picture industry, or even herself, gave her credit for. It's a great pity that she was so intimidated by sound film technique, because with her talent and ability, she could have had quite a long and successful career in talkies.

9. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Image has posted its November schedule, including the Milestone edition of It with cover art.

Tim

10. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

If its a Photoplay restoration with music by Carl Davis this looks like one for the Christmas list even if there aren't any extras but judging by the new Phantom surely there will be some. Been thinking about picking up the Kino edition for a while now I'm glad I didn't.

11. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'm hoping the new edition has some decent extras to go with it. I'll have a hard time justifying double-dipping just for the transfer. In regards to the Kino edition, I personally feel that it's worth it just for the documentary.

12. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

While not a silent, Sam Wood's Our Town (1940, with William Holden) has also been announced for release in that same Image Entertainment update; it's due to arrive November 18th, and will include Josef von Sternberg's short film The Town and (in the sort of added content I'm always particularly thrilled to find) a Lux Radio drmaatization of the film, among other supplements.

Image's website is organized in such a way that you can't properly link individual product pages (I believe it has something to do with options available in Java controls/scripts, which are used throughout the site). But here's their front page:

Image Entertainment

And here's the IMDB page for Our Town (1940):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032881/

Note that the DVD IMDB links is NOT the new Image Special Edition, but rather an edition already available (the link is to Amazon, which identifies that DVD's company label as Focus Films). Hopefully the IMDB will remedy this when the new SE is out. [​IMG]

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

a review is up of the Milestone version here .

i picked up the Kino version and the PQ is very disappointing, but it didn't really matter as i picked it up more for the TCM doc than the actual feature.
    and thats why i'll be hanging on to it even after i eventually upgrade to this.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The documentary on the Kino disc (which is excellent) is the only reason to hold onto that version; Milestone supersedes it on every other count. [​IMG] Now, if we could just get rid of the PAL-NTSC conversion artifacts....

15. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I still don't understand why Photoplay Prod. persists in transferring in PAL when a regular 24 fps transfer and restoration could be converted to both PAL and NTSC with little to no artifacting.

16. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Jack, I don't get it either. Even if they don't want to go to the expense of a new NTSC transfer, there are ways to do a conversion that don't introduce these artifacts--Synapse does it all the time with niche Eurocult titles and I can't believe they've got any more financial wherewithal than Milestone & Photoplay.

18. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Matt, I have to agree with you there. Perry was certainly the most talented photoplay pianist of the last 50 years and really added distinction in his scores. His theme for THE GOLD RUSH still gives me goosebumps listening to how great it is (and it was, as they used it for the opening titles of THE SILENT YEARS).

Mark, I agree with you. A different field pattern would easily rectify the problem, but since Photoplay does digital as well as photochemical now, there's no reason that they shouldn't be doing it at 24fps for film printing sake.