Clapton SACDS

Discussion in 'Music' started by LarryDavenport, Jun 27, 2005.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I just picked up Slowhand used for $8! I had no idea that it was a hybrid.

Is 451 Ocean Blvd. and Layla also hybrids?

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

yes i believe they are. you can get them new for 5.99 through yourmusic.com, its affiliated with BMG. they also have all the elton john discs.

3. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

They HAD all the Elton John SACDs - I saw a thread where yourmusic notified the member that they were out of stock on at least one of them (don't remember which one, off the top of my head), and therefore were removing it from their queue.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was just thinking that I could really go for some Cream SACDs... [​IMG]

5. LarryDavenport

Now I remember that these were supposed to be hybrids, but only Ocen Blvd. was, also, released as a 2 disc Deluxe addition (but alas, no SACD).

I've heard the reason why we haven''t been seeing anymore hybrids, here in the states, and why they are re-releasing the Bob Dylan catalog as single redbook CDs, is that the music publishers are holding thing up over rights. How much more fucking money do these guys need?

6. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I'd guess they want as much as they can get - and at least enough from SACD to make up for all the digital file-sharing that's "robbing them" of redbook sales and royalties.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the 5.1 audio DTS CDs and I like the mix better on those than on the SACDs

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

This rationale does not hold water. Earlier there was a lawsuit filed against SA-CD and DVD-A for extra royalties due to additional mixes on each disc (CD, Hi-res Stereo, 5.1). However, with the glut of Dual-Disc releases with multiple formats presented this is a total non-issue.

J

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Agreed Justin!!!!! [​IMG]

U.S. publishers are paid LESS than European publishers. U.S. consumers have consistently recieved less tracks, most especially, on Greatest hits and other compilation albums because of the quirky royalty contract rules here that reduce rates paid for CD's with, if memory serves me, 14 songs, or less.

10. LarryDavenport

Except that Dual discs, mostly, are CD and DVD-Video, the DVD video part may fall under another deal.