What's new

Clamping questions... (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you that have assembled large MDF enclosures without countersunk screws or nails, etc. to aid in binding, could you possibly get by with only 2 clamps on a Adire Alignment ported tempest box design? After trying my best I could only come up with 2 clamps without breaking down and buying any myself... would 2 be enough or should I invest in one or two more?
The longest panels are 32" long... Going to home depot to get the MDF and glue (Titebond II?) this Saturday, so any input would be welcome... REALLY anxious to get this done before the extended edition of FOTR hits the shelves ;)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
You could use a caul to help distibute the clamping pressure, but you may have a hard time keeping things aligned.

A caul is simply a thick piece of wood as long as what you're clamping. Sandwiched in between the clamps and your work, they help distribute the force applied by the clamps over a greater area. It helps if the caul is bowed a bit. Using the clamps near the ends and have the caul bowed up from the middle.

Pete

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If you'll be using screws or brads for reinforcement then I see no need for additional clamps.

If not it still might work, though I'd definitly caulk the inside when done to be safe. A caul is a good idea, I'll have to use that some day.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
John, I'm probably the most vocal anti-screw (somehow that sounds wrong) guy around here. For one-man glue up of large cabinets, I do have and sometimes use a pneumatic 18-guage brad nailer, not to strengthen the joints, but to hold panels in alignment while I attach my clamps.
My favorite clamps to help keep a glued cabinet square are the band clamps from MLCS:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com Look up their "Merle" muti corner clamp. If anyone needs to buy new bar clamps, I recommend the new Jorgensen Cabinet Master steel parallel bar clamps. About $31 for the 18" model, but they have great features and will last forever.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Definately get more clamps, the cost will save you from pulling out your hair and kicking things that will undoubtedly hurt your feet. Minimum of 4 clamps and take one joint at a time, let it cure for an hour then move on to the next joint. Or buy 20 and do the whole thing at once :) that's how I do it anyway but I already had the clamps. You could also use a brad nail gun with 18 gauge brads to hold the pannels as you clamp, that can really be a help also, no need for more than one or two brads per pannel, they are there just to keep the pannels from slipping as you clamp them.
I'm an "anti screw" on MDF guy myself...and yes, it does sound strange to say that :) UNLESS you use pocket screws with a Kreg Jig, that works great on MDF but it will cost you at least 40 bucks up front for the single jig, much more if you go for the deluxe model.
Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks