clamp and glue questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LanceEAR, Feb 8, 2004.

1. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

1) How tight should the clamps be when using just glue and clamps to build an enclosure? Should it be just snug enough to hold the pieces together or should it be really tight?

2) How much glue should be used?

I glued one of the sides to the front and back, waited four hours and then tried to glue the other side. I took the clamps off side 1 while clamping side 2 into place but I apparently did not wait long enough as side 1 came loose in the process - stupid me.

TIA!

-Lance

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I clamped tight enough so that the panels don't move from the clamping pressure is not applied evenly. You should monitor the clamping for the first couple of hours every 30 minutes to make sure the panels don't slide to a less stressful position.

I use enough glue to saturate the edges completely (and wipe away the excess while it's drying).

I leave the clamps on overnight, or at least 12 hours. This isn't a race, so don't treat it like one.

3. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Boy, it's hard to describe. I clamp fairly tight, but not so tight that I'm straining to tighten the clamps further. Tight enough, though, that I can pick up the clamped worked by the clamps without worrying that its going to shift.

I also always let the pieces sit overnight, 12 hrs. minimum.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Not too tight! If you clamp tight enough to squeeze most of the glue out, that's too much. Experience is best - you can practice on scrap MDF - it's cheap.

5. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think my initial problem was not enough glue and clamping too tight. Hopefully it will progress more smoothly now, although I still think I may have over-tightened the side I did last night. I shall see in about 7 hours [​IMG]

I don't think I thought the build process through enough. For instance, I now have glued four sides of the box together. I still have to cut and glue the internal bracing ala Adire Alignment. This seems like it will be difficult now since the only openings in the enclosure are the top and bottom. Oh well live and learn...