What's new

CL Purchasing Advice: Vizio XVT553SV vs Panasonic 50" S60 (1 Viewer)

aschulz90

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Dear Home theater forum,
Everybody here can probably relate to the stress of buying a new tv/projector/occulus rift. Endless research, uncertainty and fretting about the expensive purchase of something that ultimately we don't even need. Here is my current dilemma.
I'm looking around Craigslist for a new TV. The two best options I've found are the following:

1. 55" Vizio XVT553V Micro Dimming LED (2010)
Cnet link here: http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-xvt553sv/
Price: $325
Condition: Very good

2. 50" Panasonic Plasma s60 (2013)
Cnet link here: http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-tc-p42s60/
Price: $450
Condition: very good

My question is, if price was irrelevant which would you choose?
I've traditionally appreciated the image quality of plasmas more, the deeper blacks at night just make me happier. I've seen mid-high end Samsungs that have "micro dimming" and still noticed significant issues with light uniformity / blooming and hated looking at it. At the same time LCDs just have that pop (aka bright room performance) that will impress others and the Vizio is an extra 5"...and as price is never irrelevant it's also cheaper. This is a tough decision and any help would really be appreciated. Thanks HTF.

aschulz90

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
No, half way across the country on the east coast! Sounds like you'd recommend the panasonic?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
aschulz90 said:
My question is, if price was irrelevant which would you choose?
I've traditionally appreciated the image quality of plasmas more, the deeper blacks at night just make me happier. I've seen mid-high end Samsungs that have "micro dimming" and still noticed significant issues with light uniformity / blooming and hated looking at it. At the same time LCDs just have that pop (aka bright room performance) that will impress others and the Vizio is an extra 5"...and as price is never irrelevant it's also cheaper. This is a tough decision and any help would really be appreciated. Thanks HTF.
If you're interested in impressing others with an image that is too bright for your tastes, and a display that is thinner and larger, then go for the LCD display.

Since you say you appreciate the superior image you get with plasma (as do I and many others on this forum), then it really shouldn't be a difficult decision.

Go with the Panny. Easy.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'd go with plasma, unless you'll be watching mostly in a very bright room, or use it primarily for gaming or as a computer monitor.

aschulz90

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I ended up purchasing the Panasonic. The display is absolutely gorgeous. It's great for all viewing. Also my old bottom of the line plasma was very dim and I was concerned this would be the same or worse. Totally unfounded. This TV is bright enough for viewing 90% of the time. At times I notice the complaints regarding content at 24 frames per second but totally not a deal breaker. Thanks for the great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread