CL-3 rated wire???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe Tilley, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

My wife & I are in the process of buying a house or rather waiting for all the paper work to go through. Right now I'm just using regular Monster 12awg wire for all my rears & they are ran through the walls & in the attic. But heres what I'm worried about. With buying a house I don't wont any issues with insurance if for any reason there was a fire or anything like that. I will be running the wire through the floor & through conduit or PVC in the crawl space. Should I go the extra expense & run CL-3 rated wire for the rear speakers? I don't know how much truth there is to it but I have heard that in the instance of a fire if you have something like this ran & its not in wall rated it can screw you.
    I guess being a first time home owner I just wont to be safe so to speak, & not take any chances.
    Thanks for any help...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Use the CL-3 for the attic, where you aren’t using conduit. As far as under the floor goes, I don’t see any need to use CL-3 in conduit.. But you might check your local regulations.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Joe Tilley

I didn't word things right. I didn't plan on running the CL-3 wire in conduit. I was going to run either the wire I have now through conduit or just the CL-3 wire bare. I would almost rather run the In-Wall wire for simplicity, But running my current wire in some kind of conduit would be cheaper.

4. EricWT

EricWT Extra

I haven't looked into conduit too much, but at Home Depot the 12 ga. FT-4 (similar to CL-3, I think) wire is $0.93 per meter, and the pvc conduit is about $1 per meter, for a 1 inch tube. So cost is about the same, as long as you don't need any fancier wire :). I am not sure how much the CL-3 rated Monster is, but I would imagine quite a bit more than the HD wire...

Eric

5. Joe Tilley

Eric, I'm not worried about cost, I can get Monster at 60% off retail cost. For what I have found I think I may just go ahead & reuse my current wire & run it through some 2" pvc. I will be looking into my local codes first though just to be sure I'm safe.
    Thanks for the help guys..