Civilization III

Discussion in 'Computers' started by doug zdanivsky, May 23, 2003.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Anyone have it? How hard is it on the system?

I have a P3 450, 128RAM, Geforce 256 video card.

I won't be upgrading till next year, and I need a good game that isn't too demanding to tide me over till then.. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Also, anyone know of any good gaming forums I could check out, besides those at War Gamer?

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I hear the ai on civ3 is a bit neurotic. I also hear that units can be unpractical (the old spearmen takes out the battleship scenario)

New strat games are all pretty bad. My favorite older one is Master of Orion II.

The Command and Conquor series isn't bad, but can be a bit clicky.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

CIV III was a fun game for me to play through maybe twice and then it lost its luster due to the facts pointed out above by Eric. I could move through the game and be twice the military power of the computer and yet he could fend me off for hours. In CIV II if you had a F-22 vs an infantry man it was game over in CIV III it could sometimes take 3-4 strikes with a bomber to take them out WTF?

It shouldnt tax your system too much and if the graphics did then you can turn them off and just have the pieces flash when you are ready to move them vs all the action.

KyleS

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Sigh, it is a sad state that the 4x strategy games have fallen into.

Somehow someone got the idea that more complicated=better.

The line between action and reaction get blurred, knowing what button does what, hypothecated combat, tracking innumerable units, tech trees that are meaningless.

It seems now that just playing is a challenge. What ever happened to the good old days when a game was fun because winning was a challenge.

You win once now and a repeat win is easy, it is figuring it out that is hard.

Strategy game industry, are you listening?

Of course not, they make over-complicated and expensive but still crappy games, nobody buys them, then they presume the genre is dead.

Sigh, back to quake 3 Arena. I can feel my brain atrophy.

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Umm... So, the game sucks? Maybe they've patched it?

What would you suggest as a good alternative?

I tried Europa Universalis II, didn't like it. Medieval: Total War, gonna wait for my new system, Combat Mission B to B, ditto...

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

doug,

an interesting forum is the MOO3 forum at:
    http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...s=&forumid=224

MOO3 was disappointing (at best) but the forum is full of interesting folks. Almost as interesting as here - but only almost [​IMG]

I really can't suggest any alternatives that are good. C+C games are RTS and interesting. MOO2 was ok. MOO1 is my favorite though it is very old. Imperium Galactica was ok too.

Hedgemonia

7. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Thanks, I'll check those out..

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I had a problem after installing it on one computer, my monitor wasn't showing any kind of menu, just a big blur of stuff. Apparently the monitor wasn't new enough or something, and there was no easy way for me to fix it, since I couldn't read anything, I couldn't go into a menu in the game and change stuff around. Once I hooked up the computer to another monitor (one that wasn't 8 years old), it worked fine.

As for the game, I never went into forums so I didn't know about the cheats, and it was rather hard and addicting. The only way I was able to win a higher level was setting up a scenario where the nations started on their own islands, so I wouldn't get wiped out immediately.

9. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Civ 3 is awesome. You can run it on slower, older computers easily. But when you get later in the game and there are thousands of troops, you'll want a faster computer with more memory to play (it can take 30 seconds to switch turns on my 1.5GHZ system).

As for gameplay, it's just awesome. Sure people can complain that lowly units can take out greater units, but I've found everything to be in proper balance. Sure spearmen can take out a tank. Can one spearman take out a tank? No way. Can 15 spearmen take out a tank? Maybe. These lowly units attack like ants - en masse. When you have enough of them, they can be formitable.

But one word of warning - once you get into this game, it's CRACK! You'll be addicted for months. Highly recommended.

Jonny K. [​IMG]

10. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    I've heard Alpha Centauri was good, too. Would you guys concur? How would it stack up against Civ 3?

11. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

oh my, alpha centauri...my roommate was addicted to that one quite a while. it gets pretty good reviews. personally i didn't care much for it, but then again, i don't care for such games.

12. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Normally I would give them wide berth, too.

But, if I'm going to make it to next year I have to imerse myself in something that isn't hard on my system..

I tried running Combat Mission Berlin to Barbarossa, Il-2 Sturmovik, Sim City 4.. Just too depressing!

13. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Alpha Centauri is kinda like Civilization in space. It's basically the same gameplay, but just with a space theme. I never bought it, but played the demo for a while. Not bad...although I prefer the newer graphics of Civ 3.

Jonny K.

14. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Civ 3 it is then. [​IMG]

I'll get Civ 2 as well.. There's some boxes that have both of them in there..

15. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Um...I think Civ 2 and Civ 3 are pretty similar. 3 simply improves upon 2. Saying you'd buy Civ 3 and Civ 2 is like saying you'll buy a 2000 Chev Corvette and a 2003 Chev Corvette. [​IMG]

But have fun.

Jonny K.

16. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Civ3 is a great game. Do get the updates from www.civ3.com. I believe the last one is v1.29f, but it's been a while - I purchased the Play the World upgrade, and it, too, has a few patches. Tehy're very easy to upload and install.

It'll run ok on a 450. I was playing it on a dual 550 (it didn't take advantage of the duals, so basically a single 550) and it ran just fine. Only time where it would take some effort was when the map was huge - and there were about 200 cities and several thousand units to handle. It just slowed down a bit, is all.

On my new mobo - which has a 2.4 on it - it races along. It's great to watch stacks of units zooming from one end of the continent to the other, as opposed to quickly, but distinctly, finding their way there (diff between 1 sec and 3-4 sec).

I enjoy the game quite a bit.

17. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

I was told the gameplay was a bit different..

Oh well, it's ordered now (Civ 3 w/ Civ 2 in the box).. [​IMG]

18. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Civ 3 was a load of fun IMO. I did end up trading it in at one point, but mostly due to the fact that I did not have the time to play more than one game at a time. I'd be tempted to pick it up again if/when it drops to 19.99.

Since you already ordered it, you might not be looking for other options, but if you are check out Rise of Nations. It's real-time instead of turn-based but feels a lot like a Civ game. There is a demo you could download.

19. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky