Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

City Slickers (Collector's Edition) Blu-ray Review
city-slickers-3shot-1024x498.jpeg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It really depends on what your priorities are. If you just want the cheapest version possible, the MGM/FOX Blu-ray frequently sells at bargain basement prices, has reasonably good video quality, and the bonus material (all in standard definition) looks better.

The Shout Select edition costs a bit more, and they did screw up the authoring of the standard definition bonus content - it’s all there but has a sort of stutter to it that looks wrong. But most people only watch bonus material once, so that won’t be a dealbreaker for everyone. And on the plus side, the new Shout version does include a brand new transfer that is an improvement over the original disc. It’s just not a “night and day” difference since the original disc wasn’t bad.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The extra I really wanted was footage from the Oscars. I realize it was an Academy copyrighted broadcast ...

But still, seeing Billy Crystal’s opening, Jack Palance’s push-ups, and the cut-off acceptance speech would have been pure gold (Curly’s Gold)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, that would have been a nice addition! While I wasn't expecting Shout to reinvent the wheel on this title, and since the existing bonus material was already pretty in-depth, I can understand their decision not to commission new documentaries and whatnot, but licensing a little something like that would have gone a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread