City of Heroes - worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Alex Spindler, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I've been casually following the available MMORPGs lately to see any new developments. I enjoyed my few months with SWG a great deal, but eventually grew out of it.

City of Heroes caught my eye both from what sounded like mostly positive beta experiences from some people and a unqiue environment.

Has anyone been tracking this? Worthwhile, or WFWOW (wait for Worlds of Warcraft)?

2. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

Hey Alex.

Grady from SWG here.

I played thru the beta and really enjoyed it...but that was all I needed.

Burnout is fast and furious on this one. The Devs know this and have already planned a follow up release, "City of Villains".

The game is fun for a few weeks...then all the repetitious missions and leveling up gets really tiresome.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Hey there Grady. Bummer to hear about the structure of the game. Sounded like there was a bit more of something under the hood.

Thanks for the info.

4. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Hi Alex.

I was in the beta for CoH from near the beginning. It does have limited depth, but it is a fun game. Even better, for me at least, it is casual friendly - meaning that even if I can only play an hour or two I'm going to accomplish a thing or two.

Is it all about grinding? If you take a powergamer approach to it I guess. There is no crafting and no real loot (this is both a plus and a minus). On the other hand, there is no camping and no items you have to have in order to be successful.

I like the game. City of Villains, depending on how exactly they implement PvP and villains, could be an interesting addition, but I do think the game is worthwhile as it is for what it is.

I hope you give it a shot. I'm on Justice server playing as Sunshadow. I'll have other characters as well but that's the one I'm focusing on for now. A few other Intrepid people from the SOE boards are in there as well.

5. NickC

NickC Second Unit

just as grady said, tons of fun at first, but burnout was very quick for me with this one, i will not be buying the retail version, played a few weeks in beta, fun while it lasted, but didnt seem like there was much there....Iam still playing swg over here [​IMG]

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Loved beta, bought the game and I'm having a great time with it. Went from a game I didn't care about (because it lacked villains) to something I had to get at release. I agree with James however that if you take the powergamer approach to it and you'll burnout fairly quickly trying to grind your way up every level. However if you take things in stride the game has a ton of cheesy roleplaying potential and is extremely fun and entertaining to play, especially if you've got a good group of friends to play with. Most important its also very easy to get into and lends itself well to a quick 2 hour play session without having to feel as though you didn't accomplish anything.

City of Villains and the added PVP content will definitely add more depth and enjoyability to the game.

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

T O R N

In some respects, I think I might welcome the more casual aspects of play as I really don't have the PGamer mentality.

But then, the early lack of content in SWG was close to a breaking point that I addressed by hanging around with you guys more and making our own fun. But the possibility of a content fix of Villains may be just in time.

I think, in retrospect, I'll pick it up. If I do burnout, I'll get some fun out of it and it will be in time for one of the other umpteen million other games coming out. Because I'm starting to tire of the FPS games lately and want something a bit more laid back. Who knows, maybe I'll even try out SWG again afterwards (although I assume my character has since joined the old Ben in blue sparkly world).

Great to see many of you are still having fun in SWG! Those were fun times to be sure, and (at least for me) almost never felt like a grind.

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

..and thats definitely a problem with any MMO at launch really. Most MMO's really don't come into their own for a good year or two after launch when expansions are released and content patches have been added. CoH does in fact lack content in some key areas (hunting for loot, crafting etc..) but it makes up for it with some interesting story related missions (how many times have you actually CARED to read about a mission given to you in an MMO?), a great atmosphere, one of the most fun combat systems implemented in an MMO in my opinion (you wont be hitting one button and leaving your computer waiting for the villain to die in this game) and the promise of huge monthly story related events much like the Invasion of Rikti done at the end of beta or those found in Asherons Call 2.

9. William Laughner

I received my full copy of the game today from ebgames and signed up for 3 months...after all...I just quit SWG.

What server is everyone on?

Someone mentioned the Justice server so I set up a new character on it, A Magic Defender named Shade Inamorata.

Lets get together and take down some evil doers! [​IMG]

10. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Romier???????

I thought you had decided to pass on this one. I'm glad to see you gave it a shot and are liking it. What server are you on?

Alex, give it a go. There is a free month as is typical with MMO's so you can try it out for a little while. I'm currently playing as Sunshadow on Justice. Everyone give a holler if you come on.

EDIT: William ,I'll add you to my list and try hooking up with you at some point. My play hours are as bit odd so it's hard for me to plan, but I'm sure something will work out. The other nice thing is that we can create a ton of characters on any server so even if we don't end up on Justice that's cool.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Im on Virtue its the unofficial Role Play server so that was I jumped on (I find there is a reduction in jerks on a roleplay server).

..and yeah James, I got into beta and fell in love with it. What can I say, I was wrong and I'll happily admit it[​IMG]. There is a group of us getting on Virtue from LCVG (sig).

I have an almost level 9 Blaster name Evolution-Zero (or Evo-Zero as folks have called me[​IMG]).

12. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I had been keeping an eye on the thread over at LCVG but it seemed pretty dead. Boy, things changed when I wasn't looking [​IMG]. I'm not sure how keen I am to get too into the role-playing, but I may just have to check out Virtue to finally hang with some of you in a game.

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

You dont have to roleplay[​IMG]. Trust me most people don't but I find the atmosphere better than the general servers. More mature players etc..etc..

14. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Alex I would love to see you come back to swg, i no longer have cleri, sold that account, I am sure I could show you plenty of content [​IMG], if you do come back hit me up as either petra or xess.

for those of you playing CoH let me know how it goes, I definatly liked the game, the combat was cool, the interface could have been better, and it felt a lot like a solo game, i enjoyed playing it in beta, and will most likley get on board with the villans expansion...

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well, I've been playing around and really like what I see. There are some very nice details in the environments that it really makes it fun to go just about anywhere. I also like the structure of their challenge areas and 'dungeons'. Great stuff.

I've settled down on a character and I'm working on a Tanker named The Devil's Auditor (on Justice). I've gotten to level 8 and have enjoyed him thus far. Hope to be able to meet up with some of you.

16. William Laughner

Thru the beta and even now I have tried different characters with different skills...trying to find one that us ultimately satisfing.

I think I finally got it right. I have a new character on the Justice server with the name The Vile Miscreant. Right now I am at lvl 5 but every chance i get I am on leveling up.

Is there a way to add a friend to your list ingame?? the interface is certainly not as user friendly as SWG.

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'll look you up. Oh, and I finally worked out the screenshot thing...

[​IMG]

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

For anyone interested we have started a supergroup on Virtue. So far we have about 6 members and are having a hell of a time so far. You can more about it here if you are interested:

P.O.R.N: Projectors of Regal Nobility

19. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

William - All you have to do is type "/friend name" and it will add the friend to your list, whether the person is on or not. I have a fairly large list of some non-HTF Intrepid players but it looks like the HTF crowd is growing on Justice [​IMG]. I'll add you to it. Maybe at some point they'll improve the interface and allow a note like in SWG.

20. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I was a beta tester and bought the retail this week.
    So far I'm having a blast (pun intended[​IMG]). I got characters on the Champion (Magic/Controller) and Pinnacle (Mutation/Tanker)servers, but I'd like to team up with you guys, so it looks like I'll have to make some new characters on Virtue and/or Justice. When I have 'em up and runnin', I'll send you some /tells if that's alright.