City of Heroes about to go into closed Beta

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James_Kiang, Dec 9, 2003.

1. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I'm still hanging out in SWG and FFXI, and noticed that Horizons just came out this week, but the one I've been waiting for is finally showing some signs of coming to life! [​IMG] I've been anticipating City of Heroes for what seems like years (I think it has been at least a couple). They've announced that the first wave of closed beta is about to get under way. Some of the online stores are listing March and April release dates, though I think we all know not to put too much into that. I do think summer may be a more realistic date. They have made some significant changes to the character creation process but overall it still looks like a fun MMORPG. Anyone else been waiting for this one?

...I just hope WoW doesn't come out anywhere near this one...

2. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

So, about 300 people are now in the beginning stage of the closed beta test for City of Heroes. As one might expect coming from the company itself, the early word is very positive. I'm almost 100% sure I'll be trying this one out, but here are some things I've been thinking about:

- Superheroes!!!! I've wanted to do this on a larger scale (Freedom Force was good, don't get me wrong) for a long time
    - Costumes - it appears there are a ton of options in terms of appearance

Concerns
    - Is the environment interactive? FF did this very nicely, but I'm not sure how much I would expect it in a persistent game world.
    - Are there enough powers? Hopefully not everyone will end up having the same abilities in a different body.
    - What will the game world/player community be like? Here's something I think SWG does very nicely. Having a player-based economy and the different professions creates a need for players to interact with each other. I don't think CoH has any crafting in it, so there's one less thing for players to do. I don't even know if there are going to be vendors to sell items at. If this isn't handled carefully, the game becomes a complete level-treadmill. While that may be fun for a little while (given that the genre is new), I don't know how it would do in the long-run.

I imagine Romier will be signing up since he is an MMO junkie [​IMG], but what about the rest of you? Any interest in this game? (based on the number of looks my original post got, it's not looking rosey...)

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Well, hopefully I will have great things to say about it when it comes out and can try to convince you to give it a shot. Time will tell [​IMG].

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Horizons is so blah. I have the game now and I find it rather dull and lifeless.

City of Heroes sounds like great fun, but I have to play to see.

Worlds of Warcraft...I signed up for the beta. I hope to get chosen. [​IMG]

I'm only sticking to FFXI now. So far, most MMO's don't impress me OR I get bored of them really quickly. I hope "Total Fantasy Online" for the Xbox will be just as fun.

7. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

According to www.cityofheroes.com , the game is due to go live on April 28! If you pre-order the game you are supposed to receive entry into the beta; they'll start bringing pre-order people in next week. Also, if you participate in the beta the name in your first character slot will be reserved for two weeks. Lastly, they plan to let pre-orders begin playing 3 days earlier than everyone else.