What's new

City of God release (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I just quickly read a review on IGN's dvd site for this but I'm still missing a couple of answers. Did we get anything extra out of the delay? Is this more than 1 disc? How does this release differ from other Regions? Why are there not more reviews for this?
Thank you very much

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
Chad:

Still waiting for the NA release? I got tired of waiting a long time ago, and ordered the UK version.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Sorry What is on the UK edition? I remember hearing that one edition has DTS, but I think the US one lacks this.
Thanks

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Geez,don't you guys have multi region dvd players over there?I have the region 3 in my collection,it's a movie only disc but it does have a cool dts soundtrack.I think i got it about 6 to 8 months ago.
I love the movie and rated it the best i saw in 2003 (Thats right i think it's a better movie than LOTRROTK):emoji_thumbsup: .How it came away from the academy awards empty handed will remain one of lifes great mysteries along with cate blanchett not getting one for elizabeth and martin scorsese not getting one for raging bull :frowning:

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator
The UK version has the original Portuguese track in Dolby Digital. The only extra is the feature documentary News from a Private War, running 50 plus minutes, about life in Rio's favelas. As gripping as the movie itself.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I have had this DVD since around X-Mas time, right before the recall was made after the Oscar nominations. I was suprised Miramax did not make more of an effort with this release given they had the time. Instead, its the same release I've had all along with no other changes whatsoever. It's still a single disc effort with no extras added to it at all. Not even a change to the cover art to reflect the 4 Oscar noms. They might as well have left it released when it initially came out. Perhaps there is not enough material to warrant a special edition, but I disagree. A commentary wit the director would have been great, especialaly to talk about the hardships in shooting in such dangerous places and conditions and such.

This certainly was not worth the wait for those interested in fianlly seeing it. The audio/video quality is top notch however and will not disappoint, but more could have been done here. Another misstep by Miramax, again.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Makes me wonder as well. Wouldn't it have been best to release during it's oscar hype? I thought I heard of at least a 2 disc set in a different region. Oh well, only till June 8th then at least the movie is there.

GeoffBr

Agent

As I understand it, it was scheduled to be released relatively quickly, but got pulled when it got the Academy Award nominations, in the hopes that they would be able to slap an Oscar-winner sticker on it afterwards. Unfortunately, it didn't work out quite according to plan and so I believe it's pretty much the same release as had been planned previously, albeit a few months late. I'm definitely excited for it, though - June 8th can't come fast enough.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the site. Amazing how each release differs. I personally believe that after the initial success of this R1 release, we will get a 2 disc that will contain a lot of the extras shown on that site. But I could be wrong and this could be it for a release which should be a crime of some sort.
Thanks

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I doubt we will see a R1 re-release, at least not for a while. While the film did receive 4 Oscar noms, not many heard of it outside its critical reviews. It is still in release in the U.S. though, and has made $7.5 million so far, surpassing its $3.3 million budget. It only playing in 4 theaters, but I hope word of mouth will spread and make this film a big enough hit to warrant a much better DVD release. The current release is good enough for me, since the A/V quality is superb as it is, even for a foreign film with a limited budget.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I also doubt we'll see a re-release of this title.

Think about it... of all the re-releases in R1, how many are foreign language films? Not a heck of alot.

I've had the R1 release since it was leaked in February, and I found the audio/video quality to be excellent and the hour documentary to be very interesting.
Already watched the DVD 5 times.

Looks like Miramax f'd up royally by delaying the DVD by 4 months just to put out a very limited theatrical re-release after the Oscar nominations.

The smart move would've been to push the DVD release on the Tuesday after the Oscars to ride the hype.

As it is, there really isn't much interest in the DVD now.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I also think you right Marc, or for the most part anyways. It would have been better to release it during oscars for that wrod of mouth facter, now the people who are going to see are either fans of it already, or just good memory. Although I do see it picking up word of mouth again and fast, so I think it will sell very well eventually and make enough money that an SE is warrented in the studios eyes.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks