City of God (R1) - Delayed.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marc Colella, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

According to DVDAnswers.com, to capitalize on the 4 Oscar nomiations - Buena Vista has delayed the DVD release until June 8th, so they can re-release it theatrically.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3183&n=1&burl=

I'm am so f'n pissed off right now.

The f'n movie has had a long enough theatrical-to-DVD window, and it's been delayed once already... and now it's delayed again.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DAMNIT !!

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Me too...I was annoyed when it was moved from Dec. 16. You know, much as I think the AA these days are a travesty, and easily ignored, now they're starting to directly affect me: like, when a *good* movie DVD gets delayed. OK, I can see their point, this movie deserves to make more money, and I have little doubt they would have made more from DVD than theatrically, so a theatrical re-release I can't begrudge them I suppose...

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Actually, I'm sure this movie will make much more on DVD than in theaters. And I'm annoyed at the delay. I think waiting until June will mean people who don't live near a indie theater will have forgotten about it, personally.

4. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

another reason (along with the Ed Wood fiasco) I'm glad to be region-free. I've had my copy since November.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

I couldn't agree more. It seems funny sometimes that people are getting so bent out of shape waiting for DVDs that have been sitting on my shelf for months. In the case of City Of God, it's a no brainer. The Region 3 disc is in Portuguese with optional English subtitles, it's anamorphic OAR, it's DTS, and it's translated very well. What a goregous disc! On top of that, it's only $9.49!!

I continue to be puzzled as to why people are still hanging onto region 1 machines. A high-quality region-free player is very cheap nowadays. I don't get it.

(back to watching Eyes Wide Shut uncut followed by Ed Wood)

Jeff

6. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Miramax always push the DVD release of their "Oscar" films out way too long. They did it with Chicago, Shakespeare in Love and Chocolat among others - releasing them in August when a May/June date would have been more consitent with other DVD releasing patterns.

Frankly, as good as City of God is, I can't see its Oscar nominations making much of a dent in its theatrical grosses. A much smarter move would be to release the DVD before the Oscars, to build up the nomination hype, given it's got a snowball's chance in hell of winning anything other than Best Editing.

7. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I thought about it, but it's not as simple to do.

I'd have to dish out more money to get a decent progressive scan region-free DVD player since I don't want to have worse quality than I have now. What's a decent one go for anyways? If you can offer a link to some, please do.

After the exchange rate, shipping charges and border charges - each non-R1 DVD could be quite costly - at least for Canadians.

Now with non-R1 DVDs in my collection, my future player choice will be limited to a region-free player - or I can purchase a nice R1 player (likely a Hi-Def one which probably wont be region-free) and keep the region-free player as well. Of course, 2 DVD players means more money for extra component and audio cables, more wires, and the need for more shelf space.

After yet another delay, and with the poor treatment of foreign DVDs in R1 - I'm very tempted to take the plunge.

If someone can e-mail me some suggestions for players, and tips on where to order DVD from - I'd really appreciate it.

8. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I'm with Marc. A DTS/Progressive region free player + 2 sets of component cables (I'd have to run it and my R1 DVD through the preamp component switcher)+ optical audio cable = a lot of cash.

I'd LIKE to do it...but, I've hesitated.

However, since CoG is my favorite movie of the past 2 years, I think I may have to do it on this one. I can't believe it's delayed again!!! I saw it in November of 2002 for GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Dammit! The film never played here and I was counting on the DVD. Crap!

I'm in the same boat as Quentin and Marc regarding a really good Region-free player. I promised myself that I'd buy one for Twin Peaks Season 2, but it looks like I may pick one up earlier.

Any suggestions?

10. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Man, this blows. I'm really bummed about it as well.

11. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I would like to be fourth in line to get some suggestions as to some good region-free DVD players. It would have to be progressive-scan with onboard DTS and Dolby Digital decoding.

I'm asking now since I could use the money from my tax return to buy it.

12. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Is region 3 NTSC? I hate PAL speed-up/artifacts. All I have is an Apex with the "secret" menu.

Anyway, this delay might be bogus, someone on another forum reported his store had already received product.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Well it looks like FYE and Suncoast received Ed Wood shipments, but that is still delayed. Just like the Dual debacle last year...

14. John^Lal

John^Lal Stunt Coordinator

I was looking forward to being able to own this movie back in December. oh well, Disney can be lame if they want to be. I understand they want to take advantage of the Oscars, but that doesnt mean they have to push the DVD release back to June. Hopefully its being released in late March and they just aren't telling anyone about it so people dont just wait for the DVD to come out.

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I for one am delighted because this means I'll be able to get around to seeing the film in a theatre accessible to me. and the theatres I go to are always better than a mere dvd.

16. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

Yes, it is NTSC.

I hope that with the delay means more extra features than the R2 version.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Psst! Region-Free DVD players

Please keep the discussion on the region-free DVD players in their respective threads, and keep this one on the "City of God" DVD's impending release.

18. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Stupid capitalizing...

19. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I immediately leapt up and let out a "Woohoo!" when I saw the Oscar noms for City of God, then I said "Oh shit, I hope this doesn't affect the DVD release." Damn, four more months of waiting. [​IMG]

Oh well, maybe I'll catch it in the theater again.

Rob

20. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Bah!
    I´m glad it got nominated but i´m bummed about the delay.
    Here´s for hoping for a good looking korean set with dts.