City Lights

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith M., Nov 5, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im very confused, hope you all can help me out...

I noticed that Charlie Chaplin's City Lights is being released on DVD on 11/11/03 as a Limited Edition.

The price is $50, why is this priced so high?

And is this the only version currently in print that is available? I know the Image version is OOP...

Im planning on purchasing the Chaplin Collection Vol 1, but am worried that City Lights will be later released in a Collection Vol 2...

Please help clearify this for me...

Thanks in advance...

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It'll probably be another gift set which includes the 2-disc SE DVD, the soundtrack (if it's the Carl Davis recording, it's mine!), a booklet, and a film senitype.

The normal 2-disc version will probably be around, though.

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Warner will be releasing their next wave of Chaplin 2-disc SEs early in 2004, including a second boxset. I would expect that City Lights will be part of this "next wave" of releases (unclear if they'll be milking us for three waves of releases or two).

FYI: Note that all of Chaplin's features were released at once in Europe in September. I ended up selling off my R1 Volume 1 boxset due to Warner's inexplicable decision to base their R1 NTSC transfers on the PAL masters. I then bought the 18-disc R2 PAL (UK) complete boxset (for a pretty reasonable $155 delivered from Amazon UK). Very pleased with the results.

If you have a projector (or other PAL-compliant display device) and an all-region DVD player (which applies to more people than you might think), I would highly recommend the R2 PAL releases over the R1 NTSC.

4. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I would agree for the other titles in this series, but based on the preview clip found on the second disc of WB/MK2's The Gold Rush, I have to make an exception of City Lights and recommend trying to track down the David Shepard/Image edition. The clip of MK2's product revealed dramatic cropping and what I can only characterize as a nearly complete lack of shadow detail. The blur/ghosting would be remedied by turning to the PAL edition, but if that clip was indicative of the final product (I A/B'd it at the time with the Image edition), unlike the other titles (which show minor re-edits and cropping, and are often a bit darker), City Lights is a dramatic step down from the Image edition. It may be cleaner (fewer scratches, etc.), but ... well, there ya' have it.

I had another, less profound concern over a possible video error in A Woman of Paris as found in those clips. There's a Chaplin MK2 thread where all of this has been discussed, so I won't reiterate any further here -- just do a search for the film titles within that thread if you'd like to explore further reactions/concerns.

Good luck! [​IMG] Tracking down the best of each may take some time, but for these films ... very much worth it.

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I only buy R1 releases... I dont own multi-region player, nor do I want to.

So should I hold off on purchasing City Lights:LE and wait for the second r1 collection next year?

6. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

It's a shame that we have to settle for an inferior transfer of Chaplin's greatest film. Such a prolific artist's films should be given much more care that it seems they are being given. As much as I love the film I'm going to have to stick with the Image DVD rather than deal with ghosting and cropping.

7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg