Citizen Welles, Marengo, and Cary Roan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Swindoll, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Seeing Citizen Kane again rewoke my enjoyment of the glourious black and whites.
    I saw a listing for a DVD set called Citizen Welles on Amazon. It's Welles' the Stranger, the Trial, and also includes his first film Hearts of Age. Supposedly remastered and including commentary from Welles scholar Richard France. Anybody know anything about it?? I cant seem to find a website for Focus Film, the company who is putting this one out. I have discovered that they did the Evening with Sherlock Holmes box set (It sounds good, how is it?? I hear the prints arent good, but the old time radio is worth it.).
    What are peoples opinions of the DVDs that Marengo releases. Their website makes them sound good, but whose doesnt [​IMG]. I'm interested in the Cyrano De Bergerac/Son of Monte Cristo release.
    Did we ever determine the whereabouts of Cary Roan? Has Troma been releasing any more Roan product??
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Not real sure about the prints of the other movies but Touch Of Evil is very very good and worthy to be in any collection. Welles's performance is very good!

3. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

The Citizen Welles set does not have commentary by Richard France. I was informed by Richard France that after he and Michael Dawson recorded the commentary tracks, Film Focus entered the picture and decided to go another direction. The set will instead have commentary by Jeffrey Lyons. France serves only as narrator on a short documentary.
    I'm not sure how "remastered" these films will be; Film Focus has done releases ranging from abominable to okay, judging from the reviews I've read of their work. The Trial is already out in an excellent quality edition distributed by Image, and The Stranger has a good quality release from Roan.
    ------------------
    Wellesnet: An Orson Welles Website

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I was just about to start a thread asking about the status of the Roan Group. I hope they're still around.

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I said a long time ago that Troma was going to be the death of Roan. Unfortunately, I can't find my homage to Roan thread anymore, which had lots of Roan info and reviews. You still can order Roan dvds off of Troma's website... actually getting them may be another matter. There are two titles I know are out of print; Rain, with Joan Crawford (but a newer version was recently released by Image) and The Big Lift, with Montgomery Clift. The only other title that I know of that is not represented on Troma's site is Randolph Scott's Captain Kidd. That, I believe, is the newest Roan disc.
    Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.
    ------------------
    "Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
    Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html