1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Citizen Kane voted Best Film.....again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Christou, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    CRITICS' TOP TEN FILMS

1. "Citizen Kane" (Welles) 1941

2. "Vertigo" (Hitchcock) 1958

3. "La Regle du Jeu" (Renoir) 1939

4. "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part II" (Coppola) 1972, 1974

5. "Tokyo Story" (Ozu) 1953

6. "2001: A Space Odyssey" (Kubrick) 1968

7. "Sunrise" (Murnau) 1927

8. "Battleship Potemkin" (Eisenstein) 1925

9. "8-" (Fellini) 1963

10. "Singin' in the Rain" (Kelly, Donen) 1951

___

DIRECTORS' TOP TEN FILMS

1. "Citizen Kane" (Welles) 1941

2. "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part II" (Coppola) 1972, 1974

3. "8-" (Fellini) 1963

4. "Lawrence of Arabia" (Lean) 1962

5. "Dr. Strangelove" (Kubrick) 1963

6. "Bicycle Thieves" (De Sica) 1948

7. "Raging Bull" (Scorsese) 1980

8. "Vertigo (Hitchcock)" 1958

9. (tie) "Rashomon" (Kurosawa) 1950; "La Regle du jeu" (Renoir) 1939; "Seven Samurai" (Kurosawa) 1954

"International film critics and directors named "Citizen Kane" the best movie ever in surveys published by the British Film Institute on Friday.
    While the two groups agreed on the No. 1 spot for the 1941 film directed by and starring Orson Welles, they had differing opinions on which films should round out the top 10.
    The critics kept Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" in second place — with six more votes it would have been No. 1 — but the directors put Francis Ford Coppola's "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part II" as joint No. 2.
    More than 700 films were nominated by directors including Quentin Tarantino, Bernardo Bertolucci, Tim Robbins, Sam Mendes and Cameron Crow."

(Citizen Kane number one, so what else is new? Happy to see Vertigo, 2001, Dr.Strangelove, Lawrence of Arabia, Singin' in the Rain in the top 10 greatest)

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    It's not clear from Steve's post, but this is the once-every-decade Sight & Sound poll. From IMDB:

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I'm surprised not to see Jean Renoir's La Grande Illusion, Michael Carne's Les Enfants Du Paradis, or The Battle of Algiers (the director's name escapes me). Good to see Tokyo Story and Vertigo so high, and undoubtedly Citizen Kane is the king of modern cinema.

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    But look how close Vertigo came to being number one in the critics top ten, wow, if it wasn't for Citizen Kane, Hitch's film would have been voted greatest film ever, nice although personally I would have voted for Rear Window.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Lew Crippen

And I’m really surprised to see Rashomon on the director’s list. Interesting? Yes. Intriguing, again yes. Very well done—of course. But not, imo, one of Kurosawa’s best, which should leave it off the list and elevate Seven Samurai.

I surprised to see that no film by Bergman made either list.

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm actually pleased with Rashomon's placement. I consider it Kurosawa's best looking film thanks to Miyagawa. A great combo effort. And yet I also would have trouble putting it above 7 Sam., so I like the tie.

Very pleased with the Sunrise position. I just watched it and Murnau's The Last Laugh and I would put it ahead of TLL and Nosferatu as his most beautiful work.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would keep the Godfather films so high, but I think I'm in the minority.

Vertigo is not my fav Hitch (Rear Window followed by NxNW) but I can appreciate it's artistic appeal. It's a color film masterpiece for sure.

Where is Passion of Joan of Arc?

Dr. Strangelove over 2001? I have a hard time buying that despite how much I love Dr. S.

Seems like the critics are placing films based on effect on the film arts as a whole while the directors are looking more at films as a point of influence on their own work. I mean I can see Potemkin not really inspiring you to want to make films like Dr. Strangelove does, but the critical view appreciates how Eisenstien (and other Soviets) altered the approach to film editing/direction.

Most of all I am happy that the recent round of Kane backlash which was pushing Godfather to be "acknowledged" as the new #1 film has not taken hold. On every viewing of Kane I become more impressed with it as a film. The craft behind it is sublime to say the least. It's greatness doesn't always blind the first time viewers which leads to "that's it, that's the best ever?" reaction. But where it earns the rep is on the 10th time you see it and it has improved drastically with it's nuances and craftmanship. Things that go a bit unnoticed the first time through while you focus on the narrative at hand.

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I've got an 8mm (or is it 16mm - I can't remember?) print of Potempkin collecting dust on top of my wardrobe at home. I've never watched it. :b This is the perfect excuse to pull it out.
    Comedies never get enough representation on Best Film Ever lists. I think its a crime that neither Some Like It Hot (regularly acknowledged as Wilder's best comedy) nor The Apartment (my personal favourite) never make their way onto them. In fact, all of Wilder's work is regularly neglected. Both Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity pack enough critical and technical punch to be contenders for Ten Best slots IMO.

9. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

I posted the 2002 S&S lists earlier on the Sight and Sound Challenge, but since the discussion seems to be here, I just wanted to mention that the biggest change would have to be Jean Vigo's L'atalante dropping out of the Top 10 entirely.

10. Lew Crippen

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well like everyone else here, I agree with some, disagree with others, but find the lists interesting nonetheless.
    Damn. Well said [​IMG]. I personally rate The Apartment highest of those, but think both Some Like It Hot and Double Indemnity would be quality top 10 choices also. I especially agree that both comedies and Wilder in general are routinely underrated.

12. Lew Crippen

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I'm very pleased to see The Godfather in the critics' top 10, especially since it wasn't even in the top 131 in 1992.

L'Atalante dropped out of both critics and directors' top tens.

~T

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Lew: We agree again. As great as the first two Godfather films are, I would not have placed them so highly--and I'm kind of wondering where Seven Samurai might be. As for 2001--what? Didn't these guys see that definitive AFI "100 Best" list? Why, that list put the Stanley Kubrick masterpiece at #22! So what do these critics and directors obsessing over Sight & Sound's once-a-decade poll know? [​IMG] JB

15. George Hunka

George Hunka Extra

Surprising not to see Fritz Lang's M or Murnau's Last Laugh (though Sunrise is a good second choice for Murnau). But no Bresson or Dreyer?

And all this begs the question: Where the hell is the DVD of Rules of the Game? While I appreciate Criterion's need to get a special, feature-packed edition of Hopscotch out of the way, you'd think they would move the schedule up just a bit.

16. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Didn't Fellini top the list the last time out?

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No, Luc. Citizen Kane was number one in the 1992 list as well.

18. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

I took the votes from each of the 145 critics and counted them up to see if it matches the top 10. It does so here are the top 60 movies from the Critics List. This includes each film that received 5 or more votes.
    To get the Godfather's to fit in the correct place, it looks like they added the votes that each movie got. (The Godfather got 8, Part II got 6, and 8 people voted for both together, for a total of 22 votes.)
    If anyone cares I will continue this past the top 60 and do the same for the director's.
    Rank Movie Votes
    01 Citizen Kane (Welles) 46
    02 Vertigo (Hitchcock) 41
    03 La Règle du jeu (Renoir) 30
    04 The Godfather and The Godfather Part II (Coppola) 22
    04 Tokyo Story (Ozu) 22
    06 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick) 21
    07 Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein) 19
    07 Sunrise (Murnau) 19
    09 8 1/2 (Fellini) 18
    10 Singin' in the Rain (Kelly, Donen) 17
    11 Seven Samurai (Kurosawa) 15
    11 The Searchers (Ford) 15
    13 Rashomon (Kurosawa) 14
    14 The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer) 12
    15 À bout de souffle (Godard) 11
    15 L'Atalante (Vigo) 11
    15 The General (Keaton) 11
    15 Touch of Evil (Welles) 11
    19 Au hasard Balthazar (Bresson) 10
    19 Jules et Jim (Truffaut) 10
    19 L'avventura (Antonioni) 10
    22 Le Mépris (Godard) 9
    22 Pather Panchali (S. Ray) 9
    24 La dolce vita (Fellini) 8
    24 M (Lang) 8
    24 The Story of the Late Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi) 8
    27 Barry Lyndon (Kubrick) 7
    27 Ivan the Terrible (Eisenstein) 7
    27 Les Enfants du paradis (Carné) 7
    27 Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov) 7
    27 Metropolis (Lang) 7
    27 Some Like It Hot (Wilder) 7
    27 Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizoguchi) 7
    27 Wild Strawberries (Bergman) 7
    35 Andrei Roublev (Tarkovsky) 6
    35 Fanny and Alexander (Bergman) 6
    35 La Grande Illusion (Renoir) 6
    35 Modern Times (Chaplin) 6
    35 Psycho (Hitchcock) 6
    35 Taxi Driver (Scorsese) 6
    35 The 400 Blows (Truffaut) 6
    35 The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles) 6
    35 The Seventh Seal (Bergman) 6
    35 The Third Man (Reed) 6
    45 Bicycle Thieves (De Sica) 5
    45 Blade Runner (Scott) 5
    45 City Lights (Chaplin) 5
    45 Greed (von Stroheim) 5
    45 Intolerance (Griffith) 5
    45 Lawrence of Arabia (Lean) 5
    45 Letter from an Unknown Woman (Ophuls) 5
    45 Mirror (Tarkovsky) 5
    45 Ordet (Dreyer) 5
    45 Pierrot le fou (Godard) 5
    45 Rio Bravo (Hawks) 5
    45 Sansho Dayu (Mizoguchi) 5
    45 Shoah (Lanzmann) 5
    45 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Ford) 5
    45 The Travelling Players (Angelopoulos) 5
    45 Two or Three Things I Know about Her (Godard) 5

19. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

In the S&S Challenge thread, there's a longer list that goes down to movies that received 3 votes.
    The S&S site should be of interest to many. It contains all the movies voted for (which included Ferris Bueller's Day Off), each critic's and director's top ten, and much more.
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/index.html
    ~T

20. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit