Citizen Kane on LD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Sep 20, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I was wondering which is the best version of the Citizen Kane LD. I suspect it's the Criterion CAV version, but would like confirmation (or correction).
    Also, do the two Criterion LDs (CAV and CLV) have different cover? I've been looking on eBay, and found a Criterion CAV with a cover with the round white part in the center saying "Orson Welles / Citizen Kane", with three faces on the right and another three on the left, the ones on the left saying bad things about Kane, the ones on the right saying nice things, and "It's Terrific" behind Welles' head in the upper center. The Criterion CLV LD that I found has a cover similar to the current DVD. I just want to make sure before I bid that, at least judging by the cover, the CAV is a genuine edition, not a bootleg.
    Also, what's a reasonable price for the Criterion CAV LD (assuming that is the best version)? Is $50 too much? How much is too much, how much is about right.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Funny Cant find it in the WSR database or their back issues.
    I had one that was P&S. are you sure they are WS?
    $50 seems high considering you can get the 2 dvd set with a great documentary for half that

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

There are four Criterion LDs of Citizen Kane -- the original CAV release (spine number 1), the original CLV release (spine number 1A), the 50th anniversary CAV release (spine number 142), and the 50th anniversary CLV release (spine number 142A). The 50th anniversary CAV is undoubtedly the best LD edition and is the one you should be getting. It features the cover with the "It's Terrific!" tagline (a reproduction of the original poster art). The 50th anniversary CLV may have the same cover, I'm not sure. I don't know what a fair price for it would be, I paid over US$100 but that was a couple of years before the DVD was even announced.

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The second laser disc release, the one you're considering bidding on, used the same cover for the CAV and CLV - confusing when the seller doesn't say which version. As for worth - $50 is as much as I'd go, but only if it was absolutely mint. Before the current dvd release, it used to be worth much more. Be aware that the first CAV release, which was a boxset, has fewer supplements than the second release.