1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Citizen Kane of Action movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by battlebeast, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Agreed. The movie I immediately thought of.

dpippel likes this.
  2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Wiki attempts this definition:

"Adventure films are a genre of film that typically use their action scenes to display and explore exotic locations in an energetic way."

This makes sense to me, and I'd agree that "adventure films" are essentially a subset of "action films".

You can have an action film that's not adventure, but not vice versa...

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Léon: The Professional

Here's the scene where the crazy cop is sneaking up behind Leon, who's making an escape...
    [​IMG]

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    This topic confuses me. I personally hate, hate, HATE Citizen Kane. I feel it is so overrated and is just a horrible, self indulgent movie. Does this mean I am supposed to list horrible action movies? So I guess my "Citizen Kane of action movies" would be the 80's Flash Gordan.

But with that off my chest..

I think that Raider of the Lost Ark and Aliens are my go-to movies when I want action. And I am not sure if it counts as action but Fifth Element is also in my top 3.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Listen every movie has its detractors, but even those that dislike a particular film should be able to acknowledge a consensus opinion that runs counter to their own opinion.

RobertR likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I realize this isn’t a movie, but last night I was watching an episode of 24 and saw something badass I forgot.

A troubled FBI agent is provoked by a suspect being arrested at a warehouse, and the agent starts stabbing the suspect. Jack Bauer tries to intervene and is accidentally stabbed in the gut by the agent. Then, another bad guy enters with a gun, and Jack immediately pulls the knife out of his stomach, throws it at the bad guy, and it lands right in the bad guy’s neck. All in the span of a few seconds.

Badass.

TravisR likes this.
  7. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    ".....should be able to acknowledge a consensus opinion that runs counter to their own opinion."

I am sure the person who pointed out the naked emperor (emperor's new cloths tale) felt like I do about this film. LOL

I fully understand that the "popular opinion" is against me, but that does not make me wrong. :laugh:

But I digress..........

Sorry I am derailing the thread.

8. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Fast Five

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I loved the first one. The whole point of "Lethal Weapon" Martin Riggs is that he is crazy. Suicidal, with a death wish making him unstable, and in fact a lethal weapon to bad guys because he cares not if he lives or dies.

At the end of the film he finds new found hope to live, and therefore is no longer a "lethal weapon" in that regard, just a good cop. So the sequels running on the "lethal Weapon" concept of crazy, suicidal cop aren't the same as the first movie. You are getting a "nerfed" version of Martin Riggs if I remember correctly.