What's new

Citizen Kane of Action movies? (2 Viewers)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
My friend and I had a question: what would you consider the “Citizen Kane” of action movies? The best Action movie ever? My first thought was DIE HARD, but then I blanked on what other great action films there are.

What are your thoughts?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The first film that came to mind was Terminator 2: Judgement Day, but I guess it depends upon if films that mix genres, such as SF, fit the mold of greatest 'Action' films. If they do, then I would also mention The Matrix. The use of 'bullet time' alone puts it in the running, to my mind.

Something a little less SF and more fantastical that immediately comes to mind is Raiders of the Lost Ark. The truck chase sequence is easily one of the best choreographed extended action sequences that I have ever seen.

Those three along with Die Hard (excellent choice, BTW) all deserve consideration.

- Walter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Off the top of my head - Seven Samurai, Goldfinger, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Road Warrior, Aliens, The Terminator, Robocop, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Police Story, The French Connection, Bullitt, The Killer, Hard Boiled, North by Northwest.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I interpret "The Citizen Kane of action movies" to mean it has some real depth, art, and exceptional filmmaking, rather than just being "The Best Action Movie".

Gonna have to think about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I interpret "The Citizen Kane of action movies" to mean it has some real depth, art, and exceptional filmmaking, rather than just being "The Best Action Movie".

Gonna have to think about it.
I think that needs to be clarify before I will post my choices.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
John raises an interesting point about the art of filmmaking as it informs the question. I do believe a few of the choices already fit that criteria to some degree (excellence in filmmaking for certain) but I'll list a few others that I think have some 'depth' and strong action elements.

The Revenant and Inception

- Walter.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Matrix. Hands down. It stands on its own as an action movie (I've watched from the lobby scene to the end at least 30 times) and was revolutionary film making, both for the special effects and the philosophical avenues it went down (for an action film). Plus, it had a huge cultural impact that persists to this day.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As a pure action movie Speed works very well. No deeper message and no artistic fluff that gets in the way and it is not too long.
Certainly more than one of the Mad Max movies would be worthy candidates, too.

The Matrix is of course fantastic but I am not sure if I would classify it as a great action movie or rather a landmark Sci-Fi movie with great action sequences.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Funny, but people seem to forget that Die Hard is really as much a heist, suspense film as an action movie. There are long stretches without action set pieces. Actually, the film is just damned amazing.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I guess I'm the only one who didn't think much of Speed. It completely jettisons its premise in the third act and all I could think of while watching it was how much better it would have been set on a train, where the characters could actually have the space to move around.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Clarity: yes, the best all around action flick: cinematography, story, action, acting, does it stand the test of time? Iconic?

Some great choices, SPEED, BULLIT, DIE HARD, DIRTY HARRY, FRENCH CONNECTION...

Not really sci-if, not really adventure, just pure ACTION.

Thanks everyone!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree with that. My idea of a really well made action film is Ronin. Another from the same director is The Train

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Speed. It took my breath away in the theaters and I watched it again recently and it still holds up.

I think "Speed" is too derivative to be viewed as highly as this thread demands.

After all, it really is "'Die Hard' On a Bus"! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with that. My idea of a really well made action film is Ronin. Another from the same director is The Train
Ronin is a great one I hadn't thought of. I love the ambiguity of it.

"What was in the case?"

"I forget."

The angle I suggested would be more interesting to me, but that's not what this thread is. I'll respect the OP's intentions.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I guess I'm the only one who didn't think much of Speed. It completely jettisons its premise in the third act and all I could think of while watching it was how much better it would have been set on a train, where the characters could actually have the space to move around.
Isn't Speed considered a remake of sorts of the Japanese movie Bullet Train (available from TT)?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, going by the OP's guidelines. To me, the most outrageous, balls-to-the-walls action movie is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks