Citizen Kane killed my RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph S, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Well it appears that my RP91 has suddenly died after playing Citizen Kane. The player ejected the disc, I removed the disc and closed the tray as usual.
    Now the unit will only display "open" or "close" and all reset procedures seem useless. Unplugging the unit did nothing. Holding "Rewind" + "Pause" + "Eject" will get "Initialize" to display but does nothing to change the fact that all buttons other than an occasional success ejecting the tray. I can't even get the progressive scan button to go out.
    Any suggestions? Panasonic is closed until tomorrow. I'm getting very close to the 90 day period for repairs.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I can't asnwer your question, but only 90-day warranty for the RP-91?
    ps: A DVD title can not 'kill' any machine [​IMG]

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I thought it would at least display "Rosebud". [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I played Citizen Kane without difficulty on my RP-91. The reset procedure is to turn the power to standby and then back on or alternatively turn the power to standby, disconnect the AC power supply cord, and then reconnect it.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The warantee is good for a year, but I believe after 90 days you have to pay for the labor.
    I'll give the reset procedure another try later, it is unplugged at the moment for a few hours.

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

AGH!
    Denward beat me to it. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Wow, that's sucks... and I have a Panasonic player too. It's the labour cost that kills, not parts. Say we need to change the laser head (second most expensive part in the unit) the labour will be about two hours which means it's going to cost me (using most company's fee) around Cdn$150 (including both taxes). If it is the motherboard (most expensive), it will be around Cdn$200 (about 3 hours work), or if it is the main chip, between desoldering, cleaning the solder points, resoldering and checking all of the 100-ish solder points will also be about 3 hours work.
    What happened to 1 year parts and labour warranty? Is this heppening in the US or also affects Canadian buyers too?

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

It's headed back to Panasonic at no charge(I think), I'll be using my DVL-91 for 7-12 days.

9. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

As far as I know, Panasonic DVD players have always carried a 90-day warranty on labor. I have been burned by this twice (on the DVD-A100 and DVD-A115), and have vowed that I will never buy another Panasonic product again. BTW, the labor charge is probably a flat rate. If memory serves me correctly, the flat rate would have been $95 for my players. [​IMG]

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Well...
    7-12 days turned into an entire month. Getting through to the local Panasonic repair center for status was next to impossible. However, it has finally returned and appears to be once again functioning as normal. (UPS just left the thing outside my door. Had someone stolen it I really wouldn't have known.)
    Expect a month on repairs.

11. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Interesting. I too use the RP-91 which succeeded my DVL-91.
    C-Kane played just fine on my RP-91.
    OK, my display is an Elite 610. What are you using for a display?

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer