Citizen Kane - Dust in Frames

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Has anyone else noticed a prominent speck of dust, not unlike that which gets stuck in a film projector's frame, on a couple of lengthy scenes in the movie? They don't flinch and dissapeares when a new angle comes up. One would have thought they would remove these - or if on the print, digitaly removed them some way. They are distracting once you see them!

2. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

What scenes have this? I watched this yesterday and didn't notice any.
    There was one scene, where I thought there was a thick hair in the bottom of the frame -- but then when there was a pan up it became clear that it was a piece of confetti or streamer on the floor that was simply very close to the camera.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I suppose it's feasible this was on the lens during a take.
    After all, you can see a bug crawling up the lens during the breakfast scene in The Shining.
    [Edited last by Jon Robertson on September 28, 2001 at 05:01 PM]

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Going back to the movie I noticed more frames than I remembered so I am only going to list three of the below:
    Chapter-7 26:45 Lower Left Corner
    Chapter-9 30:00 Lower Left Side 2/3 down frame
    Chapter-14 49:33 Bottom Center
    It is the first time I have seen this where a restored and remastered print has dust or hair on it. I thought they cleaned these negatives completely and inspect frame-by-frame the quality prior to press?
    I wonder if the people at Warner realize this?
    [Edited last by Steven Page on September 28, 2001 at 06:33 PM]

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Overall, the film looked damn good - I'm not gonna complain!
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This could be a defect that was actually printed into the interpositive used for the restoration.
    Why they didn't remove it? Well, it's possible for some specks to just not be noticed.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.