What's new

Citizen Kane artwork ruined by anti-theft tag (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I received Citizen Kane and the packaging is great, except Warner had to ruin it with their anti-theft tags.
The packaging has artwork behind the clear tray that the discs sit on, and they put the big ugly white anti-theft tag ON TOP of the artwork underneath the clear plastic. SO when you open up the gatefold, instead of seeing the beautiful artwork your eyes focus on the big ugly whte tag.
I tried sticking a razor down there and managed to remove the ugly white tag, but the silver strip remained. (Usually those tags come right off plastic but since the Kane artowk is paperboard it sticks.) When I tried to carefully peel off the silver strip, the artwork started to come off so I left it alone.
I am majorly bummed. I wanted my Kane disc to be perfect and this stupid decision just ruins it.
Major bummer.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
But just think of all the thefts it prevents.
rolleyes.gif

I hate the way the studios put security tags on artwork. I believe this same thing happened to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Why can't they just stick it on the plastic? That way, if you want to take it off, you won't risk damaging any artwork.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
The first thing I do when I open a DVD is remove the anti-theft tag. Usually it is not hard to do so. I haven't seen the Citizen Kane packaging but with other WB snappers, the lips on the back that hold the cardboard in place will unsnap letting you completely remove the cardboard back. The tag can then be removed and the carboard will snap back in place. I've had to do that on a few snappers.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-
Citizen Kane's not on a snapper. It's cardboard like Fight Club and Close Encounters.
I left the security tag in my Close Encounters box. It blended in enough that I didn't want to damage the case to remove it.
If Kane's doesn't blend in, I don't know yet what I'll do.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This security tag ruins the inside cover.
angry.gif

But... the good news!
I got out my trusty penknife and carefully slid it between the cardboard and plastic of the casing. Slowly I managed to unstick the tag, and slide it out, with nary a blemish on the artwork underneath.
Tricky... but possible. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks