What's new

Citing a Memorial using MLA style? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm writing a paper about the Freedom Summer held here at my college in 1964, and there's a memorial (it's an ampitheater, dedicated to the three who were killed in Mississippi, same people from the movie Mississippi Burning) with a bunch of quotes from that time inscribed on the ampitheater. Does anyone know how to properly cite these quotes?

thanks

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just happen to have my Keys for Writers book in front of me. I would assuem you could cite it like it was a work of art in which case you would type it as follows

Name of artist (last, first). Title of work (underlined). name of museum, gallery or owner, city.

That's about the only way I can see doing it since most memorials are created by an artist. However if the quotes that appear on the memorial were originally given in a speech you could directly cite the quotes from that. In which case you would type it as follows

Name (last, first). Lecture (or Address if there is no title for it, in which case you would give the title). Place (name of college or building were speech was given), City. day month. Year.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
According to the St. Martin's Handbook
It's
list the artist, the work's title, underlined or italicized; the name of the museum or other location; and the city
Man those professors are sticklers for details aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks