Cirque Du Soleil full screen anamorphic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Just got 5 new Cirque discs (I love these guys), but on the back of the case is says Anamorphic Video along with FULL SCREEN version (Since I assume there is no widescreen, why did they have to state it?)
    Am I missing something? I didn't think anamorphic applied to full screen ...WTF???
    Any explanation any of you can provide will keep my head from exploding... [​IMG]

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I don't quite understand. Both my Cirque DVDs are anamorphic widescreen so the anamorphic applies to the widescreen presentation and the full-screen is just a full-screen version I'd assume.

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    A bunch of new ones just came out and are marked 1.33:1 anamorphic. These ones are not widescreen presentations.

4. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I had the same thing in another DVD I got (Sarah Brightman in concert). It indeed was a 4x3 presentation and it says "anamorphic video and full screen presentation". Strange. It also says in small letters at the bottom "formatted to fit your screen".
    Ron Birk

5. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Ah, that is weird. Maybe the execs just figure they'd better put the word anamorphic on everything or risk petitions [​IMG]

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Anamorphic is a process - it can be in any aspect ratio. Though when the image is 1.33:1, most companies don't bother to encode is as anamorphic because frankly there is very little resolution difference.
    Summing up, anamorphic is not a synonym for widescreen.