1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cirque du Soleil: Baroque Odyssey - STUPID

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kelly Grannell, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

I don't understand who wrote for the cover, it states:

SPECIAL FEATURES:

1. Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video
    2. Presented in a FULL SCREEN version
    3. Trailers
    4. Audio: Stereo
    5. Interactive Menus
    6. Scene Selections

huh?

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    If it's not Baroque why fix it?

- Steve

3. Kelly Grannell

LOL!

Still, though, if it's recorded in "Anamorphic Video" why even bother releasing ONLY the full-screen (P/S, I assume) version?

4. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Baroque Odyssey is one of the older Cirque productions I believe. They have videos of every Cirque show starting with the first I think, but I think the first one to be filmed natively in anamorphic widescreen was maybe Quidam (incidentally my favorite Cirque show). If the disc has a 4:3 transfer that's all that is available video-wise of the show. The "anamorphic" claims on the 4:3 discs are rather odd, I'll agree with that.

Just buy Quidam, anamorphic and a great show. [​IMG]

5. Kelly Grannell

Agreed.

I've purchased Quidam, Journey of Man (made for IMAX), Dralion and La Nouba.

Quite unfortunately, the producer of La Nouba mistakenly thinks that La Nouba is an MTV music video. There is not a single moment that the cameras doesn't zoom and/or pan. Making things worse, the producers shows all the spoilers of things to come (later in the show) in the beginning of the show.

I went to La Nouba show in Florida... the difference is night and day between the DVD and the live show.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Oh no, I have not cracked open La Nouba, and am sorry to hear that it has the MTV style to it.

Baroque Odyssey sounds like a documentary from the reviews at Amazon, and it is 10+ years old, back when 4x3 was still king. Sorry for the pun-only-answer. [​IMG]

As far as the DVD's go, I've seen Quidam, Alegria (both the gawd-awful movie, and the taped performance), Dralion, Saltimbanco, and Varekai, plus the Fire Within series. I've caught parts of other shows on Bravo.

I just wish they would release 'O' on DVD. It's amazing. And Mystere is impressive, although at least the bodybuilding handstanders (or is it handbuilding bodystanders) are shown in Saltimbanco.

- Steve