What's new

International Circus World 1964 Blu Ray From Spain (1 Viewer)

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The Anchor Bay UK release of Circus World includes the intermission and entr'acte.
The Anchor Bay UK release says it's running time is 134 minutes (is their count off?).
The contributor here: The Greatest Circus in the World says the French version's "Running time is 142 minutes with the intermission and exit music, but not the overture". The Spanish version says running time 143 minutes. It would appear that all the blu ray versions originate from the 2012 "restoration" by Pinewood Studios.

From the French 2012 blu ray:
00002.m2ts_snapshot_02.20.26_[2012.03.22_09.53.06].jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Anchor Bay UK release says it's running time is 134 minutes (is their count off?).
The contributor here: The Greatest Circus in the World says the French version's "Running time is 142 minutes with the intermission and exit music, but not the overture". The Spanish version says running time 143 minutes. It would appear that all the blu ray versions originate from the 2012 "restoration" by Pinewood Studios.

From the French 2012 blu ray:
View attachment 105908
I'm watching that UK Blu-ray right now and it's running time is actually about 143 minutes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I think there isn't a traditional "overture" for this movie. The movie opens with a blank screen, but it's only the sound of a circus music for several seconds then it shifts to playing the opening credits with Tiomkin's music.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
By the way, I think there isn't a traditional "overture" for this movie. The movie opens with a blank screen, but it's only the sound of a circus music for several seconds then it shifts to playing the opening credits with Tiomkin's music.
I've always thought there might have originally been a Paramount logo once in that blank space.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Circus World was the first Blu Ray or DVD for that matter that I had ever gotten from another country besides the United States or Canada. I have just recently learned that my 4K Sony Blu Ray will play discs from other countries. So I plan on getting some more Blu Rays not available in the United States! One I am thinking of getting since it looks like it will never be released on Blu Ray in the US is Flight of The Phoenix 1965 starring James Stewart.
Take Care!

Robert

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, it's not really an overture at all. I have the French version which is also 143 minutes. I saw it in Cinerama in London and I don't think it had any distributor logo.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Just placed an order for the Spanish version of Circus World. Can’t wait to own this title!
I think you will be pleased with the Blu Ray presentation. If you can, post here what you thought of the Blu Ray Presentation and the movie!
Thanks!

Robert

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I think you will be pleased with the Blu Ray presentation. If you can, post here what you thought of the Blu Ray Presentation and the movie!
Thanks!

Robert
Amazon tells me it should be arriving Monday, so I’ll let you know shortly afterwards 🙂

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Is it true that the French version has non removable French subtitles in the original English language version?

Le Plus Grande22.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Is it true that the French version has non removable French subtitles in the original English language version?

View attachment 106291
Very good that you bring it up.

The subs are forced for the English soundtrack but as they are movable I moved them out of the active picture area which is enough in my scope configuration and the reason I had forgotten about it.

So people with a 16:9 screen or a display that cannot be masked digitally should better get another release.

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Why are people buying a suspect Spanish disc when legitimate releases are available elsewhere?
The Spanish version blu rays from Divisa Ediciones are legitimate. They have the Samuel Bronston copywrite and the symbol of José Frade (owner of Spanish/Portuguese distribution rights to several Bronston films). Divisa is the official distributor of Paramount discs in Spain (including 4k versions). https://divisared.es/

El Fabuloso Mundo8.jpg

So the pluses of the latest (2020) Divisa Spanish version are: legitimate release, region-free, no forced subtitles, 2012 Pinewood 8 perf OCN scan, current € 6.99 price.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Spanish version blu rays from Divisa Ediciones are legitimate. They have the Samuel Bronston copywrite and the symbol of José Frade (owner of Spanish/Portuguese distribution rights to several Bronston films). Divisa is the official distributor of Paramount discs in Spain (including 4k versions). https://divisared.es/

View attachment 106295

So the pluses of the latest (2020) Divisa Spanish version are: legitimate release, region-free, no forced subtitles, 2012 Pinewood 8 perf OCN scan, current € 6.99 price.

Sounds like the best choice if it has the same or better PQ than the French disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks