circular saw blade assembly

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK, making a kayak carrier for my home, needed to cut some 2x4s so I got out the circular saw I bought awhile ago but haven't used...

Somehow, when I was futzing with the blade and loosened the bolt that tightens the assembly, the two pieces used to hold the blade came off, however, I didn't notice there was a piece still stuck to the spindle.

Somehow, because I didn't notice this piece, all my attempts at replacing the blade back failed miserably, the saw blade would not fit under the blade guard. In fact, I once called Sears which was useless.

Turns out, there was a piece that looked like it was part of the saw itself that isn't. I THINK it is called an "arbor"? It's a metal diamond shaped piece that is supposed to be part of the blade but I used a screwdriver to lift it off the spindle and then I was able to easily reassemble the saw blade.

However, what is that piece supposed to be for? It fits perfectly inside the saw blade and that is where I put it when I reassembled the saw. I put the lower binding nut thing on the spindle, then the saw blade, then the diamond shaped arbor thing where it would fit in the blade and then the outer binding nut and then tightened the whole thing with the bolt.

is that right? What's the purpose of that "arbor"?

Jay

2. RodC

RodC Stunt Coordinator

Some saw arbors have that diamond shape on the shaft that turns the blade. So you knock-out that piece from the blade and the blade will fit over the diamond on the shaft. For saws (like yours, it sounds) the shaft is round, so you leave that diamond knock-out piece on the blade which gives you a round hole to fit the round shaft.

As to the advantages of each, I don't know.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yup, the spindle is round with two "flat" spots for lack of a better term.

It's a basic sears/craftsman 7.25" 13A corded saw.

Jay

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

DELETED............. Wrong Link Provided !