Circuit City to layoff 2000; go no commision for sales

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveBB, Feb 5, 2003.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

It's too bad people are losing their jobs, but this is the right move. I don't like dealing with commissioned salespeople and as such rarely shop at Circuit City. Hourly employees don't have incentives to pressure you into a purchase, or knowingly give you false information to make a quick buck.

I may have to re-visit my local CC store after this change and see if I like it any better.

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem that commisioned sales people have a bigger incentive to provide better service.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Not necessarily better service... They would have a bigger incentive to push more profitable merchandise.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I disagree completely about commissioned sales people vs non commissioned I used to work retail commission and still do commission sales in a non retail environment.

I have always prided myself in being someone that will help you the best I can and stop at nothing to make you happy. Yes making money is good but having a repeat customer is better.

Commission sales people should and typically will take the time to learn more about there products than non commission people will. Some pimply faced kid is not gonna care what the wattage per channel with all 5 or 6 channels driven and what percentage of THD a reciever has making 8 bux an hour. Dont believe me then go to Best Buy sometime most people there dont know there heads from a hole in the ground, now go to a place like Magnolia Hi-Fi or Good Guys and see what there knowledge is like in comparison 9 times out of 10 you'll find someone who is commission that knows that they are talking about and knows the facts without having to look at the little cheater card under the equipment.

I laugh at people that work at places like Best Buy and only shop there for music & movies I would never ask for anyones help there. Sorry to sound rude in saying this but its the blatent truth.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I always wondered when they'd cut back. The CC associates seem to outnumber the customers most of the time. And generally they're all standing in groups, talking amongst themselves, rather than actually helping anyone.

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, commission varies by margin. Because of this fact, salespeople on commission will push higher-margin items to a potential customer first before pushing any comparable items, disregarding the quality or characteristics of the item.

Furthermore, many commissioned salespeople get paid a bonus (sometimes double the commission) if they sell a service plan/extended warranty with the item.

I many situations, the salesperson is not overwhelming. However I have encountered more than a few who instill guilt in buying a lower-margin item and passing up the extended warranty. Such biases should be removed from commissioned sales environments by setting commissions based on sales in dollars instead of item margins.

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Such biases should be removed from commissioned sales environments by setting commissions based on sales in dollars instead of item margins.

That is saying the same thing. Sales with higher item margins will generate hither dollar commissions.

A good salesperson will realize that pushing a high margin sale that alienates a buyer will result in the loss of the commission on the high volume item and possibly the loss on a lower volume item. No sales generates no commission.

Good saleslmen are not successful based on product knowledge as they are on knowing human nature and to getting their way with their customer. Both factors, knowledge and interpersonal skill enhance each other.

The kids at Best Buy can use the contact with the product and public to gain the ability to move on and be successful in some other store. If they don't then it is their loss.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Circuit City >>> Best Buy when it comes to service, at least all the stores I went to anyway. Every single time I go to BB I see a group of employees in their department just talking to each other and not going around helping customers. At Circuit City I always get asked if I need any help at least once, and if they do help me most of the time their advice is actually helpful.

I seriously think the level of customer service at CC will go down after this move. [​IMG]

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I agree with Scott that the customer service at Circuit City is a bit better than Best Buy. At CC, they at least ask me once if I need help. At Best Buy... frankly I don't care that no salespeople approach me. I have absolutely zero respect and zero tolerance for Best Buy employees. I wouldn't regard the Circuity City employees as much more qualified either. On a few occassions, I was left in a position where I was able to browse through a product information binder that employees read to learn about what they are selling. All I can say is, I'm not surprised that so much misinformation is dispensed at these two retail chains.

12. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Customer Service at CC "was" far superior.
    The general attitude of this board towards CC pisses me off. I guess I am part of one of the exceptional CC's (super sarcasm).
    For most of you on the board you don't give a shit, but there are far more people out there that actually need help and it's not coming from Consumer Reports. I'm going to stop here, b/c I'm really pissed off about this event.
    I'm lucky I didn't get canned, b/c I started late this yr. In all respects I was in the exact same league as those tophitters who got fired and I have the worst warranty percentage which means I sold a lot.

Oh, and Vinh I don't know what "advisor" you were looking at, but most of the training is pretty damn accurate and more in-depth then 50% of this board gets.

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    LOL, funny.

I used to work at BB and have personal friends who work at both.

The stories i hear bout CC are incredible. The effort those employees go to get a commission isnt something to be proud of.

Remember, were talking CC here, and they are pushed to sell high mark up items (accessories) just like the employees at BB only at BB there is no commission.

Dont be fooled, the sales team RIDES THEIR BACKS at BB to sell warranties, and accessories. You will sell these or risk losing your job or having a friggin manager on your back everyday.

You may think its customer service, and in the end it may not matter what it is as long as your being helped, but its more of a fear than customer service for many employees

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

15. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

C'mon folks, when it comes to "customer service" both CC & BB suck. Examples I've heard:

CC - "That is a good receiver. It is rated at 80 watts per channel so it will play pretty loud. This one over here is rated at 100 watts per channel. That means that it can go 25% louder without a problem!"

BB - "Is this DVD player a Christmas gift? Only $149, that is such a great price. You should really purchase the extended warranty. It is only $29.99 and covers..."

CC staff blatantly pushes higher margin stuff, BB staff tries to berate you into purchasing their extended warranty. IMO neither are good places to purchase anything other than the most basic electronics, software or games.

16. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

17. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I always hated going into CC because of being "hounded" by the commissioned salespeople!

This move was long overdue.

18. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Ok when I worked commission it had nothign to do with margins, because guess what I could make (in many instances) more money selling you a cheaper Sony Tube T.V. then a Phillips big screen that cost twice as much.

So it does nothing to sell you something more expensive cuz it may actually be making that person less in the long run. Also the bonus's that are recieved for selling a protection plan are generally 10% of the cost of the plan not a double commission that you seem to think.

So for instance I sell you a protection plan at 29.99 I get 2.99 in my pocket. I would have to say unless you've actually worked in a Commission Retail environment that you dont speak of something you know nothing about except for heresay.

I'm not trying to be rude about this but c'mon face reality a person who works commission will give you better customer service, better product knowledge,and if they are a good salesperson go the extra mile to make you happy. When I worked retail I had many customers that I personally went to there house to help them set something up or fix something that was messed up due to there blunder etc that my friend is what a real salesman does, he takes care of his customer and I'm sorry you've never had this experience before.

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't go to circuit city or best buy looking for information on a product. I go to buy and thats it. Thats why I don't want some commissioned salesperson standing over my shoulder while I'm looking around. And thats why I don't buy anything big at circuit city. Its like jumping into a shark tank as soon as you enter certain areas.