Circuit City Slashes Prices?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonZ, May 9, 2002.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I went into Circuit City after depositing my Tax Refund check (its right next door) and couldnt believe the prices of their DVDs. I picked up

Used Cars $15

Say Anything $14

Tank Girl $7

Devil In A Blue Dress $7

Three Kings $11

Also picked up a few titles for Mom for Mothers Day all under $14.

They had lots of newer titles for $14.

MGM and even some Disney titles were all $10.

When did they reduce their prices so low?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's been awhile since my last trip to CCity but those prices sound comprable to Walmart. I've seen at least four of those titles on their bargin basement rack.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was just in CC and saw the same ol' high prices! [​IMG]

4. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

I happened to stop in Circuit City yesterday, and was glad to see they still had a copy of Swamp Thing. It was sticker priced at $15.99, but rang up at the register for $10.99. [​IMG]
    Though not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I nevertheless asked the salesclerk about the discrepancy. She said that "lots" of their prices were lower in the computer. I pointed out to her that I might buy more titles if I knew what the actual prices were, but she said it was too much trouble for them to re-sticker everything all the time.
    Moral of the story: Just because you might still see the same old high prices at CC, doesn't mean you'll necessarily be charged them.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Oh, I thought you went to CC to deposit your check [​IMG]
    Those titles have SRPs of $14.99 and less now. That's why they're cheap

6. Michael St. Clair

I recently bought 'Metropolis' (anime) there on launch day and paid $16.99. Next closest brick and mortar price was Best Buy at $24.99.

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Michael same here....I'm going there tomorrow to get Tank Girl for $7 thats a steal [​IMG]

8. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I'd pay $11 for Three Kings, I like that movie.

9. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I also have noticed CC seems to be cheaper, on the other hand BB seems to be getting higher. Except for the hits, I find the same films cheaper at other stores and that didn't use to be the case. I try not to ever spend more than $19.95 for a disc and most of BB are now in the $22 to 25 range.

10. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Thanks for the alert, think I'll swing by CC tonight [​IMG]

11. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

If you go to CC's website, the sale prices are listed.

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I have noticed as well the prices that have seemed to change at BB. I have also noticed how rare it is to actually find more than one copy of a title in their store on releases. First example was Watership Down, they got one copy in. This is basically a cult title and I cannot understand why they didn't have at least five the week that it came out. Of course, this is if you are lucky enough to find a catalog title on the day it comes out...most of the time you have to wait at least three weeks for a catalog release. Most recently, the revamped Night of The Living Dead, again, one came in the week of release and they weren't expected to get another one for at least two weeks.

BB's purchase of Media Play is causing changes there as well in regard to their already high prices. When the price drops come, it doesn't change them at Media Play, in fact, in some instances, the price per disc has gone up as much as two dollars.

It is all so very confusing and I agree with the poster that stated they might have bought more titles had CC actually taken the time to mark their prices correctly. While I understand that it does take some time to change them, the benefit of sales more than out weighs the time saved.

In most cases though it does still seem that with the way titles float in to any of these stores, it saves time, energy and ultimately money to simply purchase online. And not from any of the above listed sites.

It seems like it almost become part of the excitement of collecting DVD's is purchasing a newspaper on Sunday morning and searching the net for the best place at the best price...that is if they have that title on the Tuesday that you WANT it.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Chuck,

I agree with you about Best Buy and often waiting for catalog titles. I went there the other day at 10:30 am to buy Re-Animator and they had 1 copy. I couldnt find a copy of Dick Tracy in my area until almost a week after release date.

All the CC prices were labeled.

I think Media Play has the best selection of DVDs but theyre more expensive than both Best Buy and Circuit City. Media Play has alot more "hard to find" titles. A example is something like Battle of the Planets or Star Blazers. MP by me has mutiple copies while I cant get this stuff at BB or CC. But theyre expensive. The Star Blazers DVDs are $27. CC started beating BBs prices on new releases by $2 to compete. Ali is $19 at Best Buy and Media Play but $17 at CC.

Someone mentionwed Walmart before,I never go there, but I do go in Media Play and Best Buy often and dont remeber seeing some of these titles so cheap

Some more I remember:

Burtons Planet of the Apes $14

The Patriot $14

Sirens $9

Dusk Till Dawn $17

Fight Club $17

Dragon The Bruce Lee Story $14

Princess Mononoke $19 (Media Play wants $27 for this!)

and so on

14. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well then sorry it is too much trouble for me to shop in your store if you can't be bothered with marking the correct prices on your product. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can't believe that anyone would put up with such BS. It is complete and total stupidity.
    This is the type of thing that will stop me from shopping in CC.
    Max

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Went to get a DVD for my brother and looked around, heres some more among many for $14 I noticed (that I can remember at least)

American Beauty

Men in Black

Edward Scissorhands

The Matrix

Titanic

Clerks

Chasing Amy

Batman movies

Hunt For Red October

Ghost In A Shell

He Got Game

Malcolm X

Wild Things

Galaxy Quest

Chinatown ($12)

I asked the guy behind the counter why the low prices and he shrugged his shoulders and said "I dont know a promotional thing I guess"

17. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The Best Buy in my town ain't that expensive. Most stuff is 19.99 and under. Some of the discs i'd like to get like the Alien and Aliens SEs are like 25 dollars. Alot of the anime is 22 and above too. But for the most part I can find Discs I want for under 20 at Best Buy.

A record store I go to called Newbury Comics actually has pretty good prices on DVDs. Most are 21 and under. Plus they sell used DVDs that are usually in good condition. They have a sizable anime and cult film selection for being a record store. The DVD section ain't that big, but they got alot of movies I haven't seen anywhere else.

Suncoast is the most expensive place I've been to. They do have some discs under 20, but most are 25 and over, with the majority being at least 30. I paid 40 dollars for my Robocop Criterion, because that was the only store that had it. I don't have a credit card, so I can't order DVDs online. 40 is the most I ever paid, with 10 to 25 being the average I pay.

18. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I think Best Buy has inflated their prices over the past few months - DVD's that would have been $9.99 are now frequently $12.99, and ones that would have been $14.99 are now frequently $17.99. I generally reject purchase of DVD's at "Best" Buy at those price points.

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

* Every single title you all have mentioned as being "cheap" at CC is an older title that has had a markdown taken in the past few months. Go to Amazon and compare to the current MSRP. CC's everyday prices are still up there; $10.99-$12.99 instead of $9.99; $15.99-$17.99 instead of $14.99, etc.
    * BB, for the most part, hasn't (from what I've seen) raised prices on older stock as much as they aren't discounting newer titles as deeply. For instance, a new title comes out at a $24.99 list, and in the past would street for $19.99; well BB now marks it at $22.99. But that doesn't mean that they went to older titles that are $19.99 and marked them up three dollars. But, yes, this means that BB's prices are creeping up there. It also affects the discounts on markdown titles: an old title marked down to an SRP of $14.99 used to always go to $9.99 street, but now is about $11.99-$12.99 instead. [​IMG]
    * Answer: shop around and get your best price. That's why I do the Weekly Roundup, really...for me to use as a tool to shop around. I just choose to share it with the HTF! [​IMG]

20. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I haven't seen prices creeping up at BB lately. I picked up The Vikings and Hound of the Baskervilles (14.99 list each) for 9.99.

Circuit City is vastly improving for me of late, but I notice they are even more lax about relabeling markdowns than BB. I got Swamp Thing at CC for 10.99 though it was still marked at 15.99. And they still have the Dollars trilogy at 19.99 per flick, when everyone else has them at 9.99 (not the box set of course, the single discs). But I did get the Sid And Marty Krofft 10-episode box for 34.99, roughly the same as Deep Discount's price. CC also has a much better selection of budget martial arts stuff than BB for those so inclined.