What's new

Circuit City sale on Panasonic PT56HX41 HDTV-ready $1299 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The loss leader for Circuit City this week (only from 11/24/02 to 11/27/02) is the front page attention getting price of $1299 for the Panasonic PT56HX41 HDTV-ready (need to buy a separate HDTV STB to receive the HD channels).

I took a look at this set at Circuit City around noon, and for the price, it seems to be a nice bargain. It's a 56" diagonal, 4:3 set, and it does have the 16x9 squeeze feature as a menu option. It offers 9 point convergence as well. It does 1080i, but has no DVI input or firewire input, just the other normal S-video, composite and component inputs. I watch too much regular TV for the 4:3 screen size to be a deterrent for my viewing habits.

It doesn't have all the latest and great whiz-bang features of models twice the price, but I think it's still a competent set. The video looks good when you feed it good source. The looped video feed had good stuff and poor stuff on it in terms of video quality, and it did make the poor stuff look bad. The HD content looks pretty good.

Out the door, with free interest financing for a year, and paid delivery, and taxes, it'll cost around $1850 (I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the 4-year warranty for it for peace of mind).

As you can see, I'm just trying to talk myself into buying this RPTV...

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
I just got the 57WX49 at CC for $1239.99 and its WS!! Im sure everyone knows about this set here anyway. They didnt have it on display, but i asked them to look it up, and viola! They had it for $1239.99. Anyone lookin for a new set should look into it. Ill see if I an scan the receipt to prove it later.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Deepak, did you mean the Panasonic PT 47WX49? I can't find a 57WX49.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Sorrys guys, I meant the 47WX42. And yes, i got it for $1239.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Man, that PT56HX41 is looking mighty tempting! I've got a lot of movies, but we actually watch a lot more TV, so I'm not sure a widescreen would be the best idea right now. Hmmm, what to do? Ack!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow myself. Their warehouse showed that they still had around 290 units available at 6 p.m. tonight. I still can't quite convince myself to fork over the $400 that want for the 4 year warranty, but the 12 month interest free financing might take the sting out of it. But I do feel silly contemplating paying 30% of the price for the warranty. But one visit of servicing can get quite high.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Patrick, that's a lot of buts!;) But I'm thinking the same things....hee hee. Oof. Oh my, I'm killing me! But then, I'm easily entertained. Oops! Okay, gotta go, gotta get up early for work. But after work...:D

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
I have the panny 47x model you are talking about, I've owned it since last february and I absolutely LOVE IT!
The picture on this thing is incredible, just pop in Attack of the Clones or Lord of the Rings and you'll see what I mean...droooooollllllll :emoji_thumbsup:

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Patrick, think of it as a 51" WS set that happens to come with a 56" 4:3 for when you're not watching DVDs and HDTV. It sounds like a deal to me.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Go

Auditioning
I just went to my circuit city today and the 47wx42 is $1551. I was just about to go and buy it too. If you can get the reciept scanned that'll be great. Thanks

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My flirtation with this set is over, no purchase from moi.

Re: 16x9 squeeze for DVDs:

Circuit City isn't set up to pump a normal 16x9 DVD component video input into any of their TVs, so I can't find out for sure, so I'd rather just pass on the deal than be sorry when the set was delivered to my house.

It seems many TV makers are using the word "Aspect" as a synonym for "zoom". That led to some confusion between the saledude and I.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
All of the 16:9 sets, like the 47" mentioned, are just permanently locked into squeeze mode. The guns (CRTs and lenses) are 4:3.
Around here, all the stores (including Best Buy) will hook up a progressive DVD player directly if you ask. If they refuse, ask for the store manager.
In 16:9 mode, the 56" is still 20% larger than the 47"
For the same price (and assuming my room fit both well), I sure know which one I'd get.
Make some mattes if you don't want to see the free extra screen at the top and bottom when watching DVDs. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If the 16x9 sets are locked into 16x9 mode, how does the set resolve 4:3 material (when it slaps on the side bars)?

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Hey Patrick,
If you are doing any traveling this week, stop by the Circuit City in Chattanooga. I'll take care of ya. We'll hook up a progressive player to it and see what you think. Hell, I'll even give you free delivery. Just let me know.

Jonathan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I put my money with my mouth was: I just got back from Circuit City and placed a 20% downpayment on their last shipment of this model. I should get the set in a couple of weeks. The sale guy did start pushing the warranty hard, first he tried the 4 year ($399), and then after I hedged on it, he offered the 2 year ($249) warranty. I still have 30 days to decide on it, but I think I'll just save my money up for the next RPTV, and just roll the dice on this purchase today.

I just know that this set will display 4:3 material normally, and I'll just have to live with downconverted 16x9 DVDs for the time being. I have a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, so I think I'm okay in that department. If I do get a HDTV STB, I will have to capability to watch 1080i OTA. But I don't think it's a priority since there's only 5-6 HDTV stations broadcasting at this time. Maybe later.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
patrick -

whenever you decide to pick up a warranty, you should always haggle somewhere (price, accessories, etc.) at the very least ask fo some accessories at cost - you may score on some monster cabling, etc.

believe me (i worked for cc for about two years, another year at tgg), the manager will more than likely go for it.

warranty is like crack to those places.

jonathan - would you agree or have the times changed? it's been several years since i've worked there.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
CC was giving away these sets, I don't think I had any wiggle room with a manager. And I was not about to buy some Monster interconnects at CC.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
the 47WX42 does NOT lock into FULL mode when fed a progressive image. The 47WX49 did though.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks