Circuit City Open Box Sub Question??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Sanchez, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Eddie Sanchez

I bought a Velodyne CT10 at circuit city about a month ago. I noticed yesterday that the plate amp reades model# CHT-12. I know the guy told me it was refurbuished. I know the box is from a CT-10 and so is the speaker with a CHT-12 AMP. I paid $269 for it. Does it matter that the AMP is from a CHT-12 cause the CHT-12 has more watts than a CT-10 I don't know if this could cause harm to the speaker....speaker and amp are not matched??????

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, it's more likely that you would mess up your speaker with an underpowered amp than an overpowered amp. In general, you can overpower a woofer with clean power up to 50% at a peak, and it should be fine.

Now, in the case of powered subs like your Velodyne, those will usually have limiters so that your amp will not output more than your woofer can handle. In the case of your mismatched amp, that means, it might be letting the amp do a little more than the CT-10 limiter would let the CT-10 amp do, but I don't think it'll cause any harm.

Just don't crank it *too* loud and you should be fine!

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I will say...you got the better amp...and should be happy with it. It wont hurt your sub... btw... you get a year to trade up on that...so if you ever find another open box with a real 12"..ya must may do it???

good luck

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

What probably happened is that the Original amp had problems and when Velo replaced the amp they put a beefier amp in it. I wouldnt complain too much as stated above Velodyne subs have limiters on them so you cant blow then and too much power is better then too little.

KyleS