What's new

Circuit City learns a lesson (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The widescreen TVs exhibited in this week's ad show more picture on the widescreen sets! Maybe we did some good?

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, you're right. I'm surprised that CC or anyone else would pay that much attention to detail. Unfortunately, there's a little blurb in the middle of the 2 page big screen TV section that starts out good, but ends on a bad note.
Widescreen TVs are shaped like a movie theater screen-wider than they are high-so you'll get a panoramic view of all your DVD movies and digital broadcasts. Plus when watching analog TV broadcasts, you can view in letterbox or standard format, or you can fill in the screen for a more lifelike experience.
They're not specifically talking about OAR DVD presentation, but I don't like the "filling the screen for a more lifelike presentation" idea.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, don't knock them for saying that last part! We've always said that "J6P" (I still hate that term) can use the built-in zoom/stretch gadgetry to fill up his WS TV and make himself happy if he wants to, just so that we OAR fanatics can get what we want, too.

CC's ad is helping J6P realize that. Leave them alone and let them do it!

It helps *US* in the long run...

Travis D

Second Unit
Well, my Circuit City was showing off new HD sets when I went there the day after Christmas. And they so happened to be playing The Grinch on them....... FullScreen version. It was stretched horizontally to fill the HD Screen.

:::makes the loudest hand slapping face sound ever:::

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When I read the usual nonsense that passes for catalog copy in the Circuit City, Best Buys, good guys!, and other Sunday supplements, I keep thinking I should be the copywriter. I remember one of them saying about a certain TV that it has component inputs "for your best DVD connection." Why is component input the "best" for hooking up a DVD player? The copy should read "for more accurate color rendition from DVD players" or something like that.

You would think the copywriters in these stores' marketing departments would take the time to learn about that for which they must write the catalog copy.

Users who are viewing this thread