What's new

Circuit City "going out of business" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
As reported by news agencies Circuit City will go out of business with liquidation of it's inventory to begin tomorrow and end March 1st. Unfortunately, 35000 employees will become unemployed. Without a doubt 2009 is going to be a really difficult year.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
This does suck . . . for their employees and potentially customers as well. This means that in areas where there is not a major regional electronics retailer, you're going to be down to a single player in the market. It will be interesting to see if one of the big regional retailers tries to go national after this to compete with BestBuy.

On the brighter side, I suppose there is the potential for some significant sales at the liquidations. However, there is some speculation that this may be similar to the Linens-N-Things liquidation where many prices were only dropped by a small percentage or, in some cases, actually raised.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
The store I stopped in a few times over the years was stocked with no-nothings that made the BB crew look good!

Plus I still hold a grudge against them for "Masterminding" DIVX, the pay per view DVD scheme that confused the market and helped slow the introduction of DVD to countless homes. Imagine having to pay each viewing of a DVD? Yup, modem and all, so they could allow you access to the DVD content, and charge you per "view cycle".

" DIVX was a rental format variation on the DVD player in which a customer would buy a DIVX disc (similar to a DVD) for approximately $4 US, which was watchable for up to 48 hours from its initial viewing. After this period, the disc could be viewed by paying a continuation fee to play it for two more days. Viewers who wanted to watch a disc an unlimited amount of times could convert the disc to a "DIVX silver" disc for an additional fee.[1] "DIVX gold" discs that could be played an unlimited number of times on any DIVX player were announced at the time of DIVX's introduction, but no DIVX gold titles were ever released.

The status of the discs were monitored through an account over a phone line. DIVX player owners had to set up an account with DIVX to which additional viewing fees could be charged."
More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX_(D..._Video_Express)

Circuit City lost over 100 million dollars on that scheme. I wonder if it hurt them in the long run? Bet they could use the money now.

Bad decisions can be with you your whole life as a company. For myself and many others, the DIVX debacle was enough to sour us forever on the company.
I never gave them a dime after DIVX.

More over, http://www.www.fightdivx.com/index2.html
was established to bring enlightenment to the masses.
I won't miss'em, I have Staples and Sears. They get most of it done for me. Ok, sometimes BB, but only in emergencies.:D

Good riddance to CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks