Circuit City, FYE, and Media Play Best Prices?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Michael Pakula, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I will be going to Cheektowaga, NY around the end of the month to pick up some dvds on my ever growing bilingual packing list. So I would like to know which one of these retailers has the best prices?. The retailers that are in the area include Circuit City, FYE, and Media Play.

-Mike

2. James D

James D Second Unit

FYE is great for their rebate deals. They usually offer a $10 rebate for most major new releases. It usually takes about a month to receive the rebate, making the final cost to be around $10-$11.[​IMG] Coconuts and Strawberries offer the same rebates.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Best straight-on prices would most likely be at Circuit City.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I agree with Malcolm.

FYE does have the rebates and all, but Circuit City and Media Play would probably have your best straight up prices--with Circuit City probably the overall best.

If you check out the past several RoundUps, you will be able to see how Circuit City's prices generally fall--keeping in mind, however, that many of those prices reflect "new release" status.

I'm surprised there's no Best Buy in/near Cheektowaga.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm

There's one in Amherst, which doesn't appear to be too far away.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Microsoft Streets & Trips is telling me those two communities are 7.2 miles from each other.

Michael, do you need a place to stay? Maybe Malcolm and I could make some calls for you!!! [​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm

Practically walking distance. I wonder if there's a bus?

*scurries off to search for a schedule* [​IMG]

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I would check on the fye rebates. Are there ever restrictions on non-US addresses being eligible?

9. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I would probally go to best buy but its been my experience that they don't always have everything in stock and I even heard there's a feature where you can only pick up certain titles in the store by buying them online. So this wouldn't help me at all so I thought I would just play it safe and go to one of the other retailers I mentioned earlier.

-Mike

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, you certainly won't get any arguments from Malcom and me about the merits of staying away from Best Buy.

But, if this is a trip in which you hope to expand your DVD buying experience, I would most definitely include BB. While other issues with BB have been posted in this forum over the years, limited stock does not rank near the top. BB usually has a pretty good selection--which is what makes the other problems so darn aggravating (use of coupons, uninformed personnel, etc).

CC would probably meet most of your needs. But, in case you are interested, Amherst DOES happen to have some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Click here for more info. Message paid for by the Amherst Chamber of Commerce. [​IMG]

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Yep, like Mike I find Best Buy to usually have the best DVD selection of the electronics chains, plus much easier to browse than Circuit City's "front-cover-out" display fiasco.

It'd be my favorite store to spend mad cash at if not for the seeming total incompetence of their staff most of the time. Once again, this past weekend, I had to take training into my own hands and remind the cashier to deduct my Rewards Zone certificates after she'd rung up everything. [​IMG]

12. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Michael im from that area, dont know why you plan on going to Cheektowaga, not the prettiest place on earth imo.. You should go to the Amherst/Tonawanda area and hit Niagara Falls blvd, Theres a Best Buy, a Circuit City an FYE and a Media Play all on that street.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This message, again, paid for by the Amherst Chamber of Commerce. [​IMG]