What's new

Circle surrond mode? (1 Viewer)

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got a yamaha reciever from Crutchfield on a 30 day try out. When I went to try pro logic 2 i was disappointed to see that it only worked on Dolby surround
sources only and not on mono movies (I have several mono only movies on various formats DVD,LD,Vhs). Anyway I was looking on around and found there is a sound mode called Circle Surround 2 that has a mono mode. I know of only 2 receivers that have it Kenwood and Marantz. I have heard both have had quality problems in the past. Marantz I can only get from accessories4less which sells refurbished units which I am a bit leery of. I was looking at the 5300, but I read on another forum that bass management only goes down to 100kHz as opposed to the yamaha's 90kHz. I would have to get the 7300 for it to go lower which is out of my price range. The Kenwood seems iffy to me. i kinda regret upgrading right now. I did have a 4 year old denon (which bass management went down to 80kHz, i sorta miss that low end bass.) anyway I have a couple more weeks of my 30 day try out and at a loss of what to do. The Yamaha's built like a tank and packs a great punch, I just wish it had CS and better bass management. Any advice?

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
Thats an interesting problem. I thought that DPLII worked with any 2 channel input, but with even that it wouldn't solve your problem. I think that the Yamahas has a mono movie DSP that should put sound to all channels. I tried this with my RX-V1 and changed my TV to mono and it worked. I was also able to do this with any of the DSPs, but not with pro logic which just played on the center channel.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Kenwood VR-6070, and it has CS2. I've tried out the mono mode a few times, and it sounded ok to me, but I haven't really listened to it critically. CS2 has some other adjustable features which I don't understand very well yet, but which includes "TruBass". It's supposed to somehow fake low bass notes by generating their harmonics.

The 6070 has a fixed crossover at 80Hz. Before I bought it, I read all the user reviews I could find and only ran into one report of a malfunctioning unit. The lower price VR-6060 is pretty much the same as the 6070 except for not having preamplifier outputs and not being THX-select certified.

S&V magazine has a review of the 6070.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks