Circle surrond mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay W., Mar 6, 2003.

1. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I recently got a yamaha reciever from Crutchfield on a 30 day try out. When I went to try pro logic 2 i was disappointed to see that it only worked on Dolby surround
    sources only and not on mono movies (I have several mono only movies on various formats DVD,LD,Vhs). Anyway I was looking on around and found there is a sound mode called Circle Surround 2 that has a mono mode. I know of only 2 receivers that have it Kenwood and Marantz. I have heard both have had quality problems in the past. Marantz I can only get from accessories4less which sells refurbished units which I am a bit leery of. I was looking at the 5300, but I read on another forum that bass management only goes down to 100kHz as opposed to the yamaha's 90kHz. I would have to get the 7300 for it to go lower which is out of my price range. The Kenwood seems iffy to me. i kinda regret upgrading right now. I did have a 4 year old denon (which bass management went down to 80kHz, i sorta miss that low end bass.) anyway I have a couple more weeks of my 30 day try out and at a loss of what to do. The Yamaha's built like a tank and packs a great punch, I just wish it had CS and better bass management. Any advice?

2. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Thats an interesting problem. I thought that DPLII worked with any 2 channel input, but with even that it wouldn't solve your problem. I think that the Yamahas has a mono movie DSP that should put sound to all channels. I tried this with my RX-V1 and changed my TV to mono and it worked. I was also able to do this with any of the DSPs, but not with pro logic which just played on the center channel.

3. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I have a Kenwood VR-6070, and it has CS2. I've tried out the mono mode a few times, and it sounded ok to me, but I haven't really listened to it critically. CS2 has some other adjustable features which I don't understand very well yet, but which includes "TruBass". It's supposed to somehow fake low bass notes by generating their harmonics.

The 6070 has a fixed crossover at 80Hz. Before I bought it, I read all the user reviews I could find and only ran into one report of a malfunctioning unit. The lower price VR-6060 is pretty much the same as the 6070 except for not having preamplifier outputs and not being THX-select certified.

S&V magazine has a review of the 6070.