1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Cinerama (the real kind) at the Dome

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Peter Kline

3. Peter Kline

The Hollywood Dome is now selling reserved seat tickets for the October 4 (Friday) debut. I've been told they are also accepting reservations for the 5th and 6th as well although there doesn't seem to be any offered on the website as of yet. 3 shows per day. Go there for info.
    www.arclight.com

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I've got a brother named Hollywood? [​IMG]

5. Peter Kline

Yup. Separated at birth. [​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Peter hasn't told you is that he is flying here to catch this event. And we're going to make a small HTF-members' event out of it if area members will cooperate! I'll be there, and I am certain our own RobertR will be too. The date of "our" screening hasn't been finalized yet, but Peter is flexible; he intends to catch two screenings.

Cinephiles, this is a one-of-a-kind screening of a technological dead-end done in by other widescreen processes. If you're at all interested in seeing firsthand how widescreen got its start, this event is a must.

If you're interested in attending this, let me know via PM or e-mail, and we'll try nailing it all down.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'll be there in spirit - I've never had a chance to see 3-panel Cinerama [​IMG]

8. Peter Kline

Please be advised that all seats are reserved. The "sweet spot" would be 6 to 15 rows from the front, center section. The 6th row is pretty far back in the new Dome seating layout as there's a big space between the first row and the screen. Worst seats would be at the sides.
    Watch it, don't get wet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A word about the look and sound of the film print to be shown. Pacific Theatres has not had the film restored but instead reconstructed from both camera negatives (badly worn in parts) and separation negs made in 1961. Those that have seen the film say the color varies from excellent to passable based on what elements were used. The sound has been transferred to digtal by Chace Productions and is said to be excellent (with some slight high end hiss which is unavoidable).
    Also coming up in 3 panel will be How The West Was Won, which WB has restored to its full Technicolor glory.

9. Jack Briggs

What about after that weekend? I see that screenings are planned through the 10th. How long are you in town, Peter? I was just talking to a member who will be out of town until late on the 6th but is open to later screenings. Of course, if you're out of town by then, that kind of makes for less of a gathering.

Let's do it this way: Who wants to go to this, and when are the best times for you?

10. Peter Kline

I"m afraid I have to leave LA on the 6th (a Sunday) at this point. I will be available on Friday the 4th and Saturday the 5th to go to screenings with fellow HTFers. I need to get back to Florida and prepare for another trip. Sorry. By the way, on Friday the 4th (opening day) Marty Hart of American Wide Screen Museum will be at the Dome.

11. Jack Briggs

Well, then the 4th it is! I will advise the poor member who won't be back in town until late on the 6th. RobertR: You reading this? Of course you are.

BTW, I'm actually more game for the 5th--works best for me.

When do you leave on the 6th, Peter? Since you're the "anchor" around which this event will revolve, it's best we conform to your schedule. When would you like best to do this event with your fellow and sister HTFers?

12. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Ah, found the thread. Alas, I'm the poor member who will be away until the 6th.

13. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I just purchased my tickets for the 1 pm showing on Friday, twelfth row center.

After purchasing the tickets, my excitement at seeing this reminded me what a big part of my childhood Cinerama was. It was always a big deal to go to Portland, Oregon's Hollywood Theater to see a Cinerama show.

Happily enough, This is Cinerama is the only one of the three-strip Cinerama films that I have NEVER SEEN. So the October screening will be fresh for me.

I do hope the screenings are a success and encourage Arclight to restore/refresh and show the other films. I'd particularly love to see Seven Wonders of the World and Search for Paradise. Those stood out in my memory as the best of the lot.

How The West Was Won is great fun, but it didn't show off the Cinerama process as well as those old (and probably HORRIBLY dated) travelogues. I'll never forget the awesome sensation of the Cinerama "plane" banking in a turn and seeing the entire audience (chairs and all) tilt. The process was so potent that your brain thought the audience was moving rather than the image on the screen.

14. Peter Kline

Bob,

Well TIC is certainly not the best of the Cinerama travelogues but it is the first and does have the famous roller coaster sequence at the beginning. Indeed Seven Wonders is considered the best ot the films. Whether Pacific Theatres (Arclight) revives the other travelogues will be interesting. The elements surviving are not in the best shape... no program to archive and make sure the films would be available for future generations was made when Pacific purchased Cinerama, Inc. They just put the stuff in a warehouse above the Warner Cinerama Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. under less than ideal conditions.

I agree that HTWWW is only fair at times in giving the feel of real Cinerama. That's because alot of the film was shot in 70mm and converted to 3 camera for projection. Interestingly, the other MGM-Cinerama film "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm" directed by George Pal is 100% 3 Camera Cinerama. It was very popular in Europe but did not do well in the U.S.

15. Jack Briggs

Meanwhile, at least three of us--Peter, RobertR, and me--are planning on attending the Oct. 4 screening. Anybody else in the area interested? I know of another with whom I'm communicating via PM who might be able to attend. Let us know so we can all be sure to attend the same screening! Thanks.

16. Peter Kline

Jack and the others. Getting more excited every week about seeing the film and you guys. We should do dinner before the screening. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on Highland. Only after I made reservations did I realize its a new one, not the one I remember from 8 years ago! I understand Hollywood has changed considerably since I lived there (Franklin and Tamarind). A subway!

17. Jack Briggs

Peter: I wasn't aware the Holiday Inn on Highland had changed. So, I suppose a new one might have been built in lieu of the new Hollywood & Highland Entertainment Complex.

Also, Peter, be prepared for how different the Dome looks now that it is surrounded by all the new development!

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sheesh, why haven't I kept up with this thread? What time is the showing on the 4th? I'm assuming this get together is in the evening? It would be a fair drive from Cypress (work) to Hollywood. Is there any way we can do it on the 5th?

19. ArmandV

ArmandV Stunt Coordinator

Looks like I am going to have fanagle come tickets. I saw the "Wonder World of the Brothers Grimm" when it first came out at the old Hollywood Warner as I did "How The West Was Won." I also attended the opening of the Dome for "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in 1963. The last time I attended a movie at the old Hollywood Warner was the first run of "2001" back in June, 1968. Although many have disputed it, I distinctly recall "2001" being advertised as being "in Cinerama."

20. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

2001 was projected in the 70MM Cinerama format meaning rectfied prints for showing on a deeply curved screen. It was photographed in Super Panavision 70.