What's new

Cinerama on the Big Screen at the Dome (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
hanshotfirst1138 said:
As would I, but I think that by the end of the year, the chance to see anything on film is totally done :(, if it isn't already :(. I'd certainly pay a premium to see that in 70mm, along with handful of other. Not that it'll ever come to my neck of the woods. Apparently the BFI prepped a new DCP, so I assume it's making the rounds. Though as obsessive as Kubrick was, I'm sure he'd have been all over digital. But that though makes me cringe ;).
The 2001 DCP in the UK came from Warner Bros the BFI had nothing to do with it.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
hanshotfirst1138 said:
As would I, but I think that by the end of the year, the chance to see anything on film is totally done :(, if it isn't already :(. I'd certainly pay a premium to see that in 70mm, along with handful of other. Not that it'll ever come to my neck of the woods. Apparently the BFI prepped a new DCP, so I assume it's making the rounds. Though as obsessive as Kubrick was, I'm sure he'd have been all over digital. But that though makes me cringe ;).
For new releases, sure. But for older films, there are still opportunities. E.g.,
-- the Stanford in Palo Alto only runs film. They often get new or archive prints, and have their own collection. I will be seeing Out of the Past tonight.
-- the Castro in San Francisco runs a large amount of film along with DCP.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
2001 used to play in LA all the time in 70mm. I'd see it every few months that way. It's been over a year since I last saw it, and nearly 3 years since the American Cinematheque showed. It's all been digital, and I can't bring myself to see that movie that way. I'll see other digital showings ("Predator" tonight, for instance) but 2K digital for 2001 in the Dome can't compete with 70mm.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Neil S. Bulk said:
2001 used to play in LA all the time in 70mm. I'd see it every few months that way. It's been over a year since I last saw it, and nearly 3 years since the American Cinematheque showed. It's all been digital, and I can't bring myself to see that movie that way. I'll see other digital showings ("Predator" tonight, for instance) but 2K digital for 2001 in the Dome can't compete with 70mm.
I completely agree, Neil. I've seen the "2001" DCP several times, and the last time I decided that unless there was some extraordinarily special occasion or reason to do so, I'm probably done paying to see that DCP copy in theaters. It's from the same master as the Blu-ray, which is by no means terrible, but it doesn't have the large format look or feel to it when projected on a big screen. And it's been presented poorly when I've seen it as well - like the Blu-ray, the DCP has the "Intermission" title card and entr' acte music, but the theaters that have shown it don't necessarily seem aware of what to do about it. Almost every time I've seen that DCP, the house lights stay down for the intermission and they don't stop the film. I'd rather that they either stop it and have a ten minute break, or simply omit the intermission altogether.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
rsmithjr said:
For new releases, sure. But for older films, there are still opportunities. E.g.,-- the Stanford in Palo Alto only runs film. They often get new or archive prints, and have their own collection. I will be seeing Out of the Past tonight.-- the Castro in San Francisco runs a large amount of film along with DCP.
Yes, well, I'm 1,000 miles away ;). Not much of it hits my neck of the woods, and as prints go, new ones aren't likely to come along. Tarantino has been digging into independent wealth to have prints made for the New Beverly, and the kind of clout guys like he and Nolan have will only last so long when the next generation are being trained digitally. Kodak are only still around by the grace of a small handful of filmmakers, and I doubt they'll make it long.You're lucky to be catching Out of the Past, I had the privilege of seeing two 35mm screenings this year, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Both treats :D.

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,Pardon me for asking, is the Cinerama Dome still a Single screen theater? The last movies I saw there Were China Moon and the Wild Bunch in 1994. I hope it still is.Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks