1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cinerama Dome's 55th Birthday is November 7th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Strohmaier, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I loved seeing movies at the Dome when I lived in L.A. In their first runs I saw E.T., Raiders, Back to the Future and many more. In retrospectives I saw Bridge on the River Kwai, Guns of Navarone, Jaws, 1941, Camelot, Oz, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia and many more. Great memories. They once had a Spielberg day and I sat through 5 movies in one day. Awesome.

TravisR likes this.
  2. Message #22 of 86 Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    There is a print of 70mm print of Grand Prix but it is mute, its a shame they could not have put a DTS Timecode on it at the time.
    I have had the HDDVD and have the BD of Grand Prix and will let you know what it looks like from the second row in Bradford.

3. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Allen we were in attendance for that screening as well. All part of a trip to LA to attend the first 3D Festival at the Egyptian Theatre. An unbelievable weekend in Hollywood!

ahollis likes this.
  4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I saw HTWWW twice and Gorilla At Large in 3D. It was a special week.

PMF and DFurr like this.
  5. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Apparently that 70mm print of Grand Prix has been screened at some point with a separate soundtrack running alongside the film but as this is a digital only screening it obviously was not something that was on the table.

I can tell you that the 70mm print that I saw of HTWWW looked quite horrible and I went out of the screening after a few minutes as surely the Blu-ray looked a lot better. Sharpness was not up to usual 70mm standards and then there were of course all the obvious issues of bringing Cinerama to one strip of film so for me it will be one of the digital versions unless I can see a three strip presentation.

Looking forward to what you say about Grand Prix, maybe it looks a bit better than the Blu-ray.

There is a very telling scene I thought where the drivers are looking at a map with many small letters and it was very obvious that in the 70mm version the bigger letters at least were really distinct while on the HD-DVD it was rather fuzzy. That missing of the highest frequncy response parts of the picture .is one of the things that separate the good from he great releases.

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I'd love to attend, but it's not going to work with my schedule. *sigh* I'm hoping there will be future events of this kind.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I'm going to make an assumption here [dangerous, I know, but still]:
    1. The DCP for HTWWW is derived from the WB restoration undertaken for the BD; therefore
    2. The panel lines should be no more visible in the DCP than they are on the BD
    Also, any scenes shot in Ultra Panavision or Todd-AO for HTWWW [and yes, there are a few, including stock footage borrowed from Raintree County and process shots using rear projected UP elements] shouldn't have panel lines.

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Same here. I'm out of vacation days for calendar year 2018, so I just don't have the ability to take the time off from work to fly to California for this. But I would be absolutely delighted to do so in the future.

That would be my one humble request for the organizers of this festival - and I realize it's not always possible - but I think there are people from around the country who would be very happy to attend something like this, but need a bit more time to be able to arrange to have the time off from work, put money aside for travel and lodging expenses, etc. If it's in any way possible, I would love to get a future "save the date" notice maybe six months or longer in advance so that I could be able to get everything all lined up to be able to visit. I totally get that it's not possible to plan that far in advance for certain things, and I certainly don't begrudge the festival organizers for the shorter lead time on this one, but I hope to be able to attend one day in the future.

I have never seen a Cinerama film on an actual Cinerama screen. The closest I came was when I visited L.A. in 2014 and saw Ghostbusters at the Dome. I'm so happy I went, but it's just not the same as it would have been seeing a film that was either made in three panel Cinerama, or shot single strip but still intended for the Cinerama screen. That's pretty much my cinema holy grail at this point.

Mike Ballew likes this.
  9. Strohmaier

Strohmaier Stunt Coordinator

David Strohmaier
    HTWWW is the digital version of the 2008 WB remaster, tested our DCP this morning at the Dome -looks & sounds great (5.1).

10. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    I saw one movie at the Dome and I, for the life of me, can't remember it. I do remember learning to tiller (steering the back end of a fire truck) in the parking lot back in the late 70's.

11. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

When I converse with you, John, I feel like it's a real life version of Naked City ("there are a million stories in the naked city....) :)

I've seen This Is Cinerama, T2, and Gladiator at the Dome.

DFurr and John Sparks like this.
  12. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Thanks Robert...and as Jimmy Durante used to say, "I've got a million of 'em!"

And yes, Don does have a beautiful Movie Theater I'm glad I was able to take you to see it.

DFurr and RobertR like this.
  13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Pacific-Cinerama-7.

PMF and ahollis like this.
  14. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    I'm so damn old I remember when my dad took my brother and me to the Cinerama theatre in Memphis, Tn. to see This Is Cinerama. I've still got the program given us when we entered the theatre. That experience was the driving force that sent me into a life of movies and theatres. I was never the same again!! The next time I saw a three panel Cinerama presentation was in 2002 at the Dome in Hollywood. The Dome put on a flawless presentation of HTWWW. Good times!!

Mike Ballew, PMF, ahollis and 4 others like this.
  15. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Would be curious to hear from anyone who sees the DCP version of HTWWW and also saw the 3 panel version at the Dome previously. I was fortunate enough to see the 3 panel version at the Dome during a visit to LA a few years ago and thought it was spectacular. This was the only time I have seen a Cinerama film as it was meant to be seen.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  16. Message #36 of 86 Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    diverdave

diverdave Extra

David Hale
    I bought three tickets last night for Mad World. Looking forward to it!

Couldn't get three seats in the center in row 8 or further back. There are three in rows 6 and 7, but thinking that might be a bit too close - any thoughts? Currently in row 10 on the aisle......

17. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    I know I'm in the minority here but for some reason I just can't get excited about a DCP of a 3 panel Cinerama treasure.

18. Strohmaier

Strohmaier Stunt Coordinator

David Strohmaier
    Special guests for Oct 21st showing of How "The West Was Won" will be Todd Fisher, Debbie Reynold's son, who was often on the set with his Mom. He is planning to bring some home movies the family shot during the filming. Also actor Stanley Livingston (who played George Peppard's son) will be there.

For the "Mad Mad World" screening Director Stanley Kramer's wife, Karen Kramer and daughter will talk before the film along with Sandy Hackett, Buddy's son.

Mike Ballew and Josh Steinberg like this.
  19. nara

nara Screenwriter

Hugh

Get excited then. I've seen them all in DCP at Bradford and can recommend them.

(apart from TWWOTBG obviously which I've only seen in 3 panel).

20. diverdave

diverdave Extra

David Hale
    Well here in podunk Alabama, our chances to see these classics on a big screen are exactly nil. :)

Stephen_J_H likes this.