cinepro pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Nep, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have experience with cinepro pre/pro's? Also, anyone know if the new stuff is any good or comparable to the MC 1 or AVM 20?

2. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    There will be no one that will reply to this, The DTC-10 is Cinepro's first venture into pre/pros. They have, up til now, only built amps. However, if this unit is anywhere near living up to the reputation of their amps, then this will be pretty awesome.
    The unit is releasing this month. Have not seen any reviews yet. It almost seems like this pre/pro has slipped through the cracks here at HTF. As much discussion has been had over the Outlaw/Rotel/Anthem/Aragon, I have not seen one mention of this thing.
    Is there anyone out there with any input/word/feedback on the new Cinepro pre/pro????????
    If anyone needs the link to the pre/pro: www.cinepro.com and then click on the new! button.
    Good luck with your search Mike,
    MM

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

4. Michael Marklund

Camp,

Hmmmmmm....

Looked at a picture of the Lex. The Cinepro sure looks like it. Give up Logic 7 and save $6000? Doesn't sound that bad. Still get all the latest modes and great build quality. Wait til one shows up as a demo or on Audiogon and it may be the hot ticket. Just got a new Denon though and will have to wait til everything else is upgraded til I can think about one of these.

Cheers,

MM

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

It is NOT a rebadged Lexicon MC-12.

This was discussed in another 3-letter forum.

They use different DSPs, and have different DACS.

I would bet the Cinepro is spec'd to have a higher Signal to Noise Ratio as well.

The front panel resemblance is just that, resemblance.

If the Processor is like their amplifiers it will be too cheap to be taken seriously by the high-end crowd, which is a shame.

Regards,

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What is the expected price on the Cienpro piece? Has anyone seen them available for sale yet?

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

9. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

John Kotches,

Well put!!..I remember reading that post you were referring to and the President of Cinepro put it perfectly!! "There are only so many ways to design a face plate!!!" My Nissan Maxima looks like a Toyota Camry...are the Nissan people screaming at Toyota for make a similar looking car??? I haven't heard any complaints!!!!

And like a good woman " It's on the inside that matters!"...lol

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. Michael Marklund

Ok guys, my bust. Assumed due to faceplate that the two were related. You know what happens when you assume...

Anyways, what's the word on this pre/pro? I agree, 4k isn't cheap. I thought Cinepro's reputation was better than John let on.

P.S.-went to lex's website and looked at the back of the mc12 (huge! difference over cinepro)

Thanks,

MM

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, of course the back will be different. Different internals mean different positions for all the ins and outs. Still, it's the same chassis as the MC-12.

13. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

The only thing I dont like about the Cinepro pre/pro, is its lack of XLR balanced outputs and imputs. This isnt really a big thing. But considering that all of their amps have both unbalanced and balanced, it was quite confusing. Especially since this is the only one form them to be announced.

Well, whatever.

14. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Sorry, you can't convince me otherwise. [​IMG] They're the exact same thing. Sure, there are minor coloration differences and the DTC-10 has a couple fewer buttons but they're used the same chassis.
    I'll stop now. [​IMG]

16. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

17. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Camp,

It was either on AVS forum or SMR forums that I read that quote but if I remember correctly (been a while) I think the face plate was designed BEFORE the MC-12 release. I am not sure if when a manufacturer designs a product if they "pre-patten" it. There must be no harm/no foul for I haven't read aboyt Lexicon suing Cinepro over design/patten infringement.

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I wouldn't be surprised if Lexicon and Cinepro both buy the chassis from a third party. That's really the only logical explanation. The chance each company would produce an identical chassis (same dimensions even) is just too remote.

19. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

From the "a little birdy told me" dept:

If you guys want an "inside scoop" (not really) Earthquake is said to be getting a Pre/Pro ready to compete with the DTC-10 as we speak.(type)

John Casler

20. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Camp,

Sorry to dissapoint you - the germane issues within a Preamp/processor are:

1) Digital Signal Processors..

Lex MC-12 uses Analog Devices Sharks

Cinepro will use Crystal Semiconductor

2) DACs

Lex MC-12 (Unknown to me, probably Burr-Brown)

Cinepro Crystal Semiconductor

If you think they're identical because they share very similar faceplates, you're entitled to that opinion -- but the facts about the internal architectures don't lend much credence to your opinion.

Regards,