What's new

Cinepro Mothership of HT amplifiers (1 Viewer)

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Nothing for nothing but Krell does'nt have anything on Cinepro, these Amps kick ....

I own 11 yes eleven 3K6's I am just a Cinepro fanatic, my wife tells me I am stonecold crazy. I love it ,all them channel hanging around nothing but pure power. When a door slams in a movie theater it slams at around 100 db, my door slams at 130 db, that's the difference between regular power amps and the mothership.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
If a door in the theater slams at 100db then your system if properly calibrated should slam at 100db.

The real question should be does the door slamming at 100db in your system sound as good or better than the door slamming in the theater or on our systems.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If a theater door slams in the forest at 130dB does anyone hear it? And does the forest remain intact?
:D
Seriously (assuming that you were serious because I'm aware what tomorrow's date is),
What does one use eleven (11) 3K6's for? Wouldn't that be something like 21,000 watts into 11 channels? (or 350 watts into 66 channels?) Are you using some bi-amping application that requires so many amps in your HT? And why not 4K6-4 SE Golds if you really want to go the distance? I'm just curious.
According to my rough calculations, that's ~$80,000 worth of amps in your system. I have no doubt that it sounds spectacular. I've attended Cinepro demonstrations in NYC and found the sound ear-opening to say the least. If price were no object then Cinepro would be on my extremely short list and I would highly recommend them. However in the real world that 99% of us live in there is definitely a limit to return on investment. In my opinion, spending 10 times as much on any equipment doesn't necessarily result in 10 times better results. You have to decide whether the gain merits the financial pain. As technology progresses a lot of things that were once beyond the reach of the average person are now attainable - especially in the area of Home Theater. For example, with the introduction of ~$5000-$6000 1080p front projectors from several sources such as JVC and Sony I find it extremely difficult to justify spending $20,000 and up for any home theater projector at this time. Outside of the inevitable "mine is bigger than yours" comparison, what is the point? To me the gain in performance isn't justified by the expense (unless the bottomless pockets analogy applies). It certainly isn't a night and day difference.
As it is now, lots of normal people think I'm crazy for spending $5000 on a projector and the same would go for the audio side of things. The equipment that you are talking about in this thread certainly qualifies for "boutique" status. Without a doubt it is among the very best available, but at a very, very steep price. I can get some amplifiers with balanced inputs for significantly less money (in the $3000-$7000 range for all seven channels) that would never make me regret my purchase for one second. And a lot of people would still consider me crazy for spending that much. $80,000 for amps in a home theater just doesn't cut it for me on many levels. Now if I were amplifying an amphitheater, that might be a different story. ;)

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I sold a 3K6mk1 to purchase a 3K6mk3. On my system I use only 2 Amps. I just have a fascination with these amps, I know it sounds crazy. None of these Amps where purchased new. E-bay and Audiogon. Actualy I was just wondering if there are more Cinepro nuts out there or am I the only one?I must be.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Halcro is a great amp, that's way up there. I listend to them bevore, very impressive..

McLoki

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Hand
I have a 3k6 MkI.

Driving a 5.2 system. (5 channel Polk LSi home theater with 1 passive SVS 25-31cs+ and 1 powered SVS 25-31PC+)

I cannot recommend them enough. From what I understand the Mk3 golds were really something special. For now my Mk1 is more than enough though....

Michael

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
McLoki said:
I have a 3k6 MkI.
Driving a 5.2 system. (5 channel Polk LSi home theater with 1 passive SVS 25-31cs+ and 1 powered SVS 25-31PC+)
I cannot recommend them enough. From what I understand the Mk3 golds were really something special. For now my Mk1 is more than enough though....
Michael
Once you have that Cinepro Experience your'e hooked for good...
From what I hear the new ones are even a lot better, did not have the chance to have that experience yet. Good thing for my wallet...Thank god

mgaris

Auditioning
Real Name
Mahlon Garis
pink said:
Are there any cinepro owners on this forum.
Yes there are other Cinepro owners here. And I agree with you, I don't believe there is another amplifier that gives you as much bang for the buck as Cinepro. I have three Cinepro 3k6's in my 7.1 home theater. The last one I bought was a 240V version, which enabled me to convert one of my other two to 240V, but the other one has a different wiring harness, so it will stay at 120V for now. I am running them all in the bridged mode, which the 240v versions give me over 1200w a channel into 8ohms. My tower speakers are Definitive Technology BP7001sc's, the center channel is a C/L/R 3000, the surrounds are 4 BPX's , I'm also running 2 Def Tech 1500TL+ 500watt 15" subs, in addition to the two 1500watt subs in the towers. So I estimate that my total potential power is around 15,000watts. As you know you can never have too much power. I have the towers, center channel and surrounds set to small, so that nothing under 80Hz is sent to them, except for the LFE to the subs. The 1200w per channel crossed over at 80hz plus the 4000w+ for bass allows for an uncanny sonic realism that cannot be achieved with systems that only have a few hundred watts RMS. The 240V Cinepro 3k6 leaves the 120V in the dust, once again I believe this has everything to do with getting enough power to the amps to release the potential, these amps are starving at 120V. These amps are very power hungry, when I took my first one (120V model) out for a test drive, it was dropping the line voltage from 118V to 110V, so I had to invest in a Monster power AVS2000 voltage regulator. I now have two AVS2000's. Each one is fed from a 10ga 30amp deicated feed from each side of my power panel. One side of the 240V required for the Cinepro's is fed from each of the AVS2000. So I basically have a regulated 240V feed for the Cinepros. If anyone can help me locate a 240V wireing diagram for my oddball 3k6, please let me know.
Cinepros Rock!

GOLD

Auditioning
Real Name
Abel
mgaris said:
Yes there are other Cinepro owners here. And I agree with you, I don't believe there is another amplifier that gives you as much bang for the buck as Cinepro. I have three Cinepro 3k6's in my 7.1 home theater. The last one I bought was a 240V version, which enabled me to convert one of my other two to 240V, but the other one has a different wiring harness, so it will stay at 120V for now. I am running them all in the bridged mode, which the 240v versions give me over 1200w a channel into 8ohms. My tower speakers are Definitive Technology BP7001sc's, the center channel is a C/L/R 3000, the surrounds are 4 BPX's , I'm also running 2 Def Tech 1500TL+ 500watt 15" subs, in addition to the two 1500watt subs in the towers. So I estimate that my total potential power is around 15,000watts. As you know you can never have too much power. I have the towers, center channel and surrounds set to small, so that nothing under 80Hz is sent to them, except for the LFE to the subs. The 1200w per channel crossed over at 80hz plus the 4000w+ for bass allows for an uncanny sonic realism that cannot be achieved with systems that only have a few hundred watts RMS. The 240V Cinepro 3k6 leaves the 120V in the dust, once again I believe this has everything to do with getting enough power to the amps to release the potential, these amps are starving at 120V. These amps are very power hungry, when I took my first one (120V model) out for a test drive, it was dropping the line voltage from 118V to 110V, so I had to invest in a Monster power AVS2000 voltage regulator. I now have two AVS2000's. Each one is fed from a 10ga 30amp deicated feed from each side of my power panel. One side of the 240V required for the Cinepro's is fed from each of the AVS2000. So I basically have a regulated 240V feed for the Cinepros. If anyone can help me locate a 240V wireing diagram for my oddball 3k6, please let me know.
Cinepros Rock!

GOLD

Auditioning
Real Name
Abel
Hi BROTHER IN CINEPRO,

You mentioned that One side of the 240V required for the Cinepro's is fed from each of the AVS2000. So I basically have a regulated 240V feed for the Cinepros.

I have several CINEPROS most of them are MARK 3 and will never sell them because I cant find anything else to replace them with!! The only problem that I have with CINEPRO AMPS is that they KILLED MY AUDIO AMP UPGRADING BUG!! The sound hunts me constantly and I dream about them alot!! I agree with the fact that 240VAC kills 120VAC.

I like to know how you are getting 240 from two 120 voltage regulators? I have two CINEPRO POWER SUPPLY III and I am trying to figure out how to cancel the nutural and make a Y CABLE so i can get two 120 to create 1 240. Let me know. Also if you get a chance to here the new MARK 4 and 5 amps paired with the EVO CWC drivers from CINEPRO ---YOU WILL NEVER FORGET THE EXPERIENCE-----IT WILL HUNT YOU YOUR ENTIRE LIFE!! I WARN YOU!!!!

Rockchopper

Auditioning
Real Name
James M
Just came across this while surfing on xmas day......I thought I was the only nut....I have 3 of these myself, and also figured that any improvements in my system will be in other areas....I can't imagine getting more bang for the buck from any other amp.....just thought I'd chime in.....

mgaris

Auditioning
Real Name
Mahlon Garis
Hey Abel "Fellow Cinepro Brother" ;
I'm laughing because I can't believe it's been over three years since I've posted here. Anyway to answer your question, I have 240V service to my home theater, by running 2 120Vac lines from the power panel to the theater, one off of each phase, the difference between the two phases is 240Vac. I am using 2 Monster AVS 2000's one plugged in to each phase, then I built "Y" power cables that plug into each Monster AVS 2000 into a 240Vac outlet, that is what the Cinepros plug into. So each AVS 2000 regulates one phase, or one side of the 240Vac. This may be an unconventional way of achieving regulated 240V power, but I've been using it for over three years without any problems. If this doesn't make sense to you or if you don't understand how this is done, please do not try it, the potential is there to cause some real damage, to yourself and your equipment.
In the past three years, I've also increased my 3k6's from 3 to 6. And I've purchased 2 more Monster AVS 2000's. The power requirements for these amps are just insane, to run all 6 at full power, would take somewhere around 150A @ 120V, so the next theater upgrade will probably have to be a service panel upgrade to 200A, and more Monster AVS 2000's. But for now, my existing 4 Monster AVS 2000's, are able to provide up to 60A of current for the Cinepro's, which gives me up to 7200W of usable power. I think I'm ready for an intervention, but at this point everyone loves the theater.
Signed, Cinepro Junkie!

nicki smith

Auditioning
Real Name
nicki smith
I have a cinepro system and I need intructions on hooking it up. Can you please help me?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
We'll need the make and model numbers of all the equipment you're planning on hooking up to it, including the display. Then we can give you more detailed and accurate answers.

Hifi111

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
Cinepros Rock!
Hello I need help changing the voltage on my 3k6-5 SE Gold any help would be great Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks