What's new

Cinepro 2K6III / BW nautilus 803 (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Dmitri,

I have not heard this combination, but I can tell you that Cinepro amps are almost always underrated when it comes to performance.

You will see the price of the Cinepro and say "it's too cheap". It isn't.

My 3K6, Series III is only a very slight amount behind a BAT VK-6200 amplifier in terms of sonic quality, and personally I don't think the doubled price is worth the expenditure.

Regards,

thanks John,...

I am convinced of the capabilities of cinepro..

but I wonder if it matches with BW speakers ????????

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
You will find that the cinepro would make the B&Ws very bright sounding. My friend has the cinepro 2k3 and 804s and they didn't sound too great. He switched to a jolida 302a 40x2 class A tube amp and it sounded waaaaay better. The highs are crisp and not too bright. Mid-bass was tighter and I was surprised that the tube amp can put out bass. If you want a good solid state amp for the BWs, rotel (which is BWs sister company), krell, classe. I was please with the Jolida 302a amp since it was $400 used.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Your room acoustics is going to affect the brightness of the sound significantly more than any amp. Get the system you want and tune the room appropriately...

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Your room acoustics is going to affect the brightness of the sound significantly more than any amp. Get the system you want and tune the room appropriately...
I would suggest that unless you are an extreme "far field" listener, that is you listen a long way away from your speakers, there is no room treatment that can cure a dry, brittle or bright high end from a speaker/amp combo.

Unless you are running a "reflecting" system like BOSE 901s any direct sound from your speaker will be as the amp/speaker marriage sent it.

The only thing the room treatments can do to the resonances and relfections is affect the "reflected" sound. They cannot change the direct sound which is what the ear/brain usually hears (precedence effect).

Regards,

John Casler

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
rotel and B&W aren't "sister companies" they are only distributed by the same company, everything else is seperate

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
In my experience, a lot of reflected high frequencies results in a "bright" presentation (assuming a flat anechoic response). Neither the speaker or amp has a hump in it's higher frequency response. How do you account for the supposed 'bright' sound? I agree it will sound brighter when compared to the rolled off response of a tube amp...

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Neither the speaker or amp has a hump in it's higher frequency response. How do you account for the supposed 'bright' sound?
I don't account for it because I have never heard it. A room cannot create additional high frequency energy.
It can only interact with it. All reflected sound is deteriorating sound, with high frequencies decaying and being absorbed quite rapidly.
;)
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks