What's new

Cinema Studio Modes on DA5ES vs. DA4ES (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I thought I had pretty much settled on the 4ES when a new finding is making me rethink my 4ES decision. This has to do with Cinema Studio modes. I used to own a 555ES and really enjoyed Cinema modes with music/movies. However recently Aaron, Brett and Mark made me aware of something the 4ES could not do, i.e. turn PRO-Logic "off" in the Cinema Modes, a bummer I think.
What I want to know from 5ES owners is this, Does the sound in Cinema modes when used for music really compare to Logic 7? Are the surrounds in stereo or mono in the Cinema Modes with the Pro-Logic turned off? Are the surrounds in full frequency (20-20000) as in DPL-II?
How do the Cinema modes (DPL off) compare to DPl-II Movie mode when watching 2 channel stereo broadcasts?
I am asking these questions because I can get the 5ES for $650 including taxes and I have to make my decision fast. I chose the 4ES because of the 12V triggers but can live without them. PLease respond sort of urgently as I have to make my decision by tomorrow since I have the 5ES on hold for a day. Thanks.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
How do the Cinema modes (DPL off) compare to DPl-II Movie mode when watching 2 channel stereo broadcasts?
Well, with DPL off, there will be no surround decoding whatsoever. It may help to 'fill in' the sound, but you won't get surround with surround encoded stereo sources (most TV programs, VHS movies, etc.). With the 5ES, you can use DPL-II Movie or NEO:6 Cinema instead of plain old Pro Logic, with the Cinema Studio EX modes (4ES is limited to Pro-Logic).

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if there is a way to make Sony aware of this and get them to issue a flash upgrade to fix this. I have a 4ES and haven't delved into 2 channel much yet, so this hasn't bitten me.

Perhaps this was a design (or implementation) error that can be corrected in software.

Any ideas?

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks